Bodegas Príncipe de Viana was created in 1983 as a banner project of Caja Rural de Navarra, an agricultural lending institution founded to provide financial assistance for the sustainable development of Navarra’s important farming sector. Reflecting wine’s nobility among agricultural products, the project takes its name from an historic Navarran title of Spanish royal succession dating to 1423. 1200 acres of old vines are managed under contract throughout the region. In 2003, over one thousand additional acres of estate vineyards were established on a rolling chalky-stony plateau at the confluence of the Aragón and Ebro Rivers. The climate influence is an intermittent interplay of Atlantic, Mediterranean and Continental. Persistent “Cierzo” winds responsible for the adjacent Bardenas Desert Natural Park effectively minimize plant disease.