The Collaltos carry on a family legacy as owners and tenants of 3200 acres of land north of Venice given to their family over one thousand years ago. The signs of history, culture and nature co-exist with farming practices that fully respect what is a centuries-long tradition passed down by the Collalto family. 160 acres of farmland are given over to vineyards for the production of Borgoluce wines and sparkling wines. The Valdobbiadene D.O.C.G. region is home to the vineyards of Borgoluce’s finest Prosecco.
Grapes / Soils
|Glera||clay with high concentration of calcium carbonate|
Rive Collalto is located roughly half way between the towns of Conegliano and Valdobbiadene at the southern edge of the Valdobbiadene appellation within the Comune di Susegana and very near the Piave river. As all “Rive”, the vineyard is on the steepest part of the slope near the peak and is considered by the family to be their finest Borgoluce vineyard.
- From a climatic point of view, 2013 was a year of ups and downs: a long cold spring, with plenty of rain, stimulated plant growth, the large amount of water counterbalanced by a hot July, when the fruits fully matured.
- The low grape yield per plant gave rise to an excellent sugar ripeness level.
- The temperature changes at the end of August and beginning of September, finally, guaranteed optimum acidity and excellent aromatic development.
- Healthy grapes with above average acidity, sugar ripeness and aromatic profile enabled the production of long-lasting rich Prosecco bases.
- Aromas are delicate and flowery; on the palate the wines have texture, tanginess, mineral qualities and duration.
- The qualities conferred by the hilly territory and the vintage are exalted in the Borgoluce Rive di Collalto Brut D.O.C.G: a new product that leads back to the origins of Prosecco, a Brut Nature featuring the unaltered organoleptic characteristics typical of Glera.
- With a sugar content of 2-3 g/l, its naturalness reveals the very essence of Prosecco and the excellence of this district.
- Its bubbles are the perfect accompaniment throughout the meal, its distinguishing freshness and tanginess enhance the flavour of any dish.
- Made from Glera grapes.
- Grown on soils of clay with a high concentration of calcium carbonate in the Rive di Collalto, located roughly half way between the towns of Conegliano and Valdobbiadene at the southern edge of the Valdobbiadene appellation within the Comune di Susegana and very near the Piave river.
- Fermented in stainless steel tanks.
- Aged for 4 months.
- Bottled micro-filtered with only 2-3 g/l of residual sugar.
- 100% Glera
- Colour: Staw-yellow
- Alcohol Content 11.5%vol
- Sugar content 17g/l
- Total acidity 6 g/l
- pH 3.15
- Dry extract 19 g/l
- Residual Sugar 0-3g/L
- IL RIVE is a special designation within the DOCG appellation of Conegliano Valdobbiadene.
- IL RIVE, available only in the fully sparkling style, represent the essence of terroir.
- They are produced exclusively from grapes that come from a single Commune or hamlet/village therein, thus highlighting the characteristics that a particular area confers on its wine.
- The Rive wines allow one, therefore, to get to know the manifold expressions of Conegliano Valdobbiadene in detail.
- The term “Rive” indicates, in the local dialect, vineyards that are on steep ground, and the aim of the category is to underline the special quality of – and the many differences between – the various sites within the Denomination.
- For the “Rive” maximum yields are reduced to 13 tons per hectare; the grapes must be picked by hand and the vintage must be shown on the label.
- In the Conegliano Valdobbiadene zone there are 43 Rive, which offer an equal number of distinct territorial expressions.
A perfect aperitivo option, the 2013 Valdobbiadene Prosecco Superiore Rive di Collalto Extra Dry is slightly sweet, with foamy perlage and many layers of intense fruit flavors. White peach and honeydew melon are in prime view but the sparkler follows through with chopped mint and crushed granite as well.
Borgoluce’s 2013 Prosecco di Valdobbiadene Rive di Collalto is precise and nicely sculpted, with plenty of green pear, peach and flowers. Drink this tightly-wound, energetic Prosecco over the next few years.–Antonio Galloni
|Proprietors||Trinidad, Giuliana, Ninni & Caterina Collalto (mother & daughters)|
|Annual Production||12,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable/organic|