The Collaltos carry on a family legacy as owners and tenants of 3200 acres of land north of Venice given to their family over one thousand years ago. The signs of history, culture and nature co-exist with farming practices that fully respect what is a centuries-long tradition passed down by the Collalto family. 160 acres of farmland are given over to vineyards for the production of Borgoluce wines and sparkling wines. The Valdobbiadene D.O.C.G. region is home to the vineyards of Borgoluce’s finest Prosecco.
Rive Collalto is located roughly half way between the towns of Conegliano and Valdobbiadene at the southern edge of the Valdobbiadene appellation within the Comune di Susegana and very near the Piave river. Vineyards withing the località Castagnè. As all “Rive,” the vineyard is on the steepest part of the slope near the peak and is considered by the family to be their finest Borgoluce vineyard.
- Altitude: 200 – 300 meters
- Exposure: East, Southeast
- Soils: Hills of morainic origin, clay soils with a high concentration of calcium carbonate
- Climate: Hot summers that aren’t oppressive, average diurnal temperature change 20 – 21º
- Vine Training Systems: Double arched cane / Sylvoz method
- Harvested in mid-September
- Soft pressing of whole grapes
- Slow fermentation with carefully selected yeasts at 18 ºC
- Aged on fine lees for 5 months at 10º C
- Priese de mousse: Charmat method in stainless steel tanks
- Refermentation in tanks at 15 – 16 ºC
- Cold stabilization at -1 ºC
- Microfiltered before bottling to separate yeast
This wine illustrates the unique character of a hill. From the “Rive” (very steep hillsides) of the Collalto hills, an extreme brut that allows full expression of the fruit. Dry and harmonious on the palate. A broad bouquet with hints of white flowers, lily of the valley and green apple.
100% Glera; Alcohol: 11.5%; soils clay with a high concentration of calcium carbonate, on the steepest part of hill, at the southern edge of Valdobbiadene near the Piave river; harvested mid-September, soft press & slow ferment at 18ºC in stainless steel tanks, wine aged on fine lees 5 months; Charmat method secondary fermentation at 15 – 16 °C in tanks; cold stabilized at -1 °C. Microfiltered before bottling.
- 100% Glera
- Alcohol: 11.5%
- pH: 3.20
- Total Acidity: 6 g/l
- Residual Sugar: 3 g/l
- Dry Extract: 19 g/l
- Pressure: 5 bar
Sweet peach, white flowers, smoke and hints of vanilla bean waft up from the delicate yet remarkably pretty 2020 Extra Brut Prosecco Superiore Rive di Collalto. This is savory and angular in feel, with saline-tinged bubbles ushering in tart pit fruits; yet energy is nicely maintained through bright acidity. It leaves hints of green melon under an air of brown sugar, which I find wildly attractive, while tapering off long and wickedly fresh. (Lot# 20 L21M07) 2021 – 2025
|Proprietors||Trinidad, Giuliana, Ninni & Caterina Collalto (mother & daughters)|
|Annual Production||12,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable/organic|