Château Rocher Corbin
Domaine de Rocher Corbin is a former farmstead of the Château Corbin, fiefdom of the Lord of Corbin in the Middle Ages. This property was acquired in the 1880s by Charles Durand. For four generations, Rocher Corbin has been passed down from father to son, with the same passion for vines and wine.
Since 1986, Philippe Durand has devoted himself to the modernization of the property, with the greatest respect for the terroir, the environment, and the traditional practices of vine cultivation.
Rocher Corbin, a 10-hectare (25.95 acres) property, stretches along the west coast of the Tertre de Calon, one of the highest points in the region, in the heart of the Montagne-Saint Emilion appellation, a few kilometers from Saint-Emilion, on the right bank of the Dordogne. This prime location, with great sun exposure, and well-draining clay-limestone soils make it a great terroir for the grape varieties (Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Malbec) of the estate. The average vine age is 45 years with old vines ranging from 80 to over 140 years old.
Grapes / Soils
|Merlot (85%), Cabernet Franc (15%)||Planted 1875 & 1935 (15%), 1985||Limestone & clay||10.5 ha|
- Single estate vineyard of Chateau Rocher Corbin consists of 10.5 hectares in one block, pefrectly situated on the western slope of the Calon mound at the highest point in the area
- Vineyard site provides maximum exposure to the sun and perfect natural irrigation
- Vines average 45 years old. 15% of the vineyard has vines more than 80 years old and includes a 140-year-old Merlot parcel
- Green covering over rows
- Short pruning, de-budding and leaf removal
- Hand harvested into 10 kilo baskets, two passes of careful sorting of each berry
- Short cold maceration, microxygenation
- Part of malolactic fermentation in new French oak barrels
- No sulfites used in fermentation
- Aged 13 months in 35% new French oak barrels
Already plenty in your nose and glass… Pure Rocher Corbin and big Bordeaux vintage. Dense and fleshy nose of ripe dark fruits, cherries, raspberries, red currant and dark chocolate notes. Ample, powerful and generous length.
85% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Franc; vine age – planted 1875 & 1935, 1985; soils of limestone and clay; fermented in French oak barrels and stainless steel tanks; no sulfites added; aged 13 months in French oak barrels; bottled unfined and unfiltered.
- Blend: Merlot (85%) and Cabernet Franc (15%)
- Alcohol: 15%
- No sulfites added
- Bottled unfined and unfiltered
A ripe and friendly style, with warm plum and raspberry compote flavors rolling through, accented by anise and ganache hints. Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon. Drink now through 2020.
|Annual Production||2,200 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, bio-dynamic)||Organic|