Château Rocher Corbin
Domaine de Rocher Corbin is a former farmstead of the Château Corbin, fiefdom of the Lord of Corbin in the Middle Ages. This property was acquired in the 1880s by Charles Durand. For four generations, Rocher Corbin has been passed down from father to son, with the same passion for vines and wine.
Since 1986, Philippe Durand has devoted himself to the modernization of the property, with the greatest respect for the terroir, the environment, and the traditional practices of vine cultivation.
Rocher Corbin, a 10-hectare (25.95 acres) property, stretches along the west coast of the Tertre de Calon, one of the highest points in the region, in the heart of the Montagne-Saint Emilion appellation, a few kilometers from Saint-Emilion, on the right bank of the Dordogne. This prime location, with great sun exposure, and well-draining clay-limestone soils make it a great terroir for the grape varieties (Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Malbec) of the estate. The average vine age is 45 years with old vines ranging from 80 to over 140 years old.
Single vineyard block in Saint-Émilion on slope of Calon mount, the highest point in the area.
- Vineyard Area: 25.95 acres / 10.5 ha
- Exposure: West – maximum sun exposure
- Soils: Clay and limestone
- Vine Age: Average 45 years. 15% are over 80 years, includes a small 140 year old Merlot parcel
- Green cover crops
- Short-pruning, de-budding and leaf removal through growing season
- 3 passes of gentle hand harvesting into 10kg baskets to ensure only perfectly ripe berries
- Additional manual sorting before destemming
- Short cold maceration and microoxygenation
- Vinification with no sulfur added
- Part of malolactic fermentation in new French oak barrels
- Aged 13 months in 35% new French oak barrels
- Bottled unfined and unfiltered
Constantly deep garnet in color. Complex nose of superbly ripe red and black fruits and soft oak notes, all in perfect harmony. An ample and unctuous palate that finishes with silky tannins.
Pair with dry-aged prime beef, duck breast with cracklings…and by the glass!
85% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Franc; alcohol: 15%; single estate vineyard plot on west slope of Calon mount in Saint-Émilion; clay and limestone soils; vines average 45 years, with a section of 80 year old & small parcel of 140 year old Merlot; hand harvested in 3 passes; manual berry sorting both before and after destemming; malolactic fermentation in new French oak and stainless steel vessels; no sulfur added; aged 13 months in 35% new French oak; bottled unfined and unfiltered.
- 85% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Franc grapes
- Alcohol: 15%
- No sulfur added in vinification
A blend with 80% Merlot, this is a dense, concentrated wine. It is powerful, not least because of the alcohol, but compensates with generous black fruits and acidity. It is a long way from ready. Wait until 2022.
|Annual Production||2,200 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, bio-dynamic)||Organic|