Villa Collazzi is one of the most impressive estates in all of Tuscany. This architectural landmark was originally designed by Michelangelo in 1560 for his friend, Agostino Dini. It offers commanding views of the surrounding countryside. I Collazzi is a property of the Marchi brothers, Carlo and Bona. During the last decade the Marchi brothers invested heavily in the development of Collazzi’s farming business, renewing the vineyards and restructuring the cellar, with the goal of producing excellent wines.
Grapes / Soils
|Cabernet Sauvignon (55%), Merlot (23%), Cabernet Franc (18%), Petit Verdot (4%)||6 years average in 2009||Clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky||14.8 acres|
- The vineyards grow at Collazzi estate, located in the town of Impurneta (Florence).
- Vineyard Surface 14.82 acres.
- Altitude 590 ft. above sea level.
- Exposure: South/West.
- Soil Type: Sandy and clay soils, rich in limestone, with an abundantly rocky texture, have led to the choice of planting grapes of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot.
- Average age of vines: 15 years old.
- Manual, in single boxes.
- The time lag between harvesting and processing is very short, as the vineyards are all located within 450 yards of the cellar.
- Each grape variety and single parcel is harvested and processed individually.
- The grapes are further selected on the sorting table.
- Made from Cabernet Sauvignon (55%), Merlot (23%), Cabernet Franc (18%) and Petit Verdot (4%) grapes.
- Vine age – 18 years average in 2015.
- Grown on soils of clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky.
- Fermented in stainless steel vats at 80°F.
- Aged in 60% new and 40% one year old barriques and the bottle.
- Aged for 18 months in the barrique and 8 months in the bottle.
- Fermantation Vats: Temperature controlled stainless steel vats of 660 and 1,980 gallons.
- Fermentation Temp: On average, 80 degrees F.
- Aging: In barrique, 60% new and 40% one year old.
- Length of Aging: 18 months.
- Bottling Aging: 8 months.
Deep ruby. Plum, cocoa, coffee, sweet spices and dark cherry on the impressively big, deep nose. Suave, smooth and dense on the palate, with red and black fruit flavors, smooth tannins and excellent length. A big wine.
A wine with velvety tannins and ripe fruit with hints of tobacco and cedar box. Full and caressing. Always a solid and flavorful red. A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc. Better in 2013.
|Proprietors||Carlo and Bona Marchi (brothers)|
|Annual Production||12,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|