Villa Collazzi is one of the most impressive estates in all of Tuscany. This architectural landmark was originally designed by Michelangelo in 1560 for his friend, Agostino Dini. It offers commanding views of the surrounding countryside. I Collazzi is a property of the Marchi brothers, Carlo and Bona. During the last decade the Marchi brothers invested heavily in the development of Collazzi’s farming business, renewing the vineyards and restructuring the cellar, with the goal of producing excellent wines.
Grapes / Soils
|Sangiovese (80%), Merlot (18%), Malvasia Nera (2%)||25 years average in 2015||Clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky||18 acres|
- Appellation: Chianti Classico D.O.C.G.
- Vineyard location: The vineyards grow at Collazzi estate, registered as Chianti Classico DOCG and are located in the town of San Casciano Val di Pesa (Florence).
- Color: Magnificent ruby red, with dark sparkles.
- Perfume: Notes of cherries, dark spices, combined with perfume of small red fruits
- Taste: Tasty, mineral, complex, with a gentle, captivating tannic structure. The long final makes this wine ideal to enjoy with food.
- Food Pairing Suggestions: Bastioni is the best companion of tasty, earthy food. Pairs well with pasta dishes, even more elaborate ones, as well as entrees. At its best with grilled meats.
- Made from Sangiovese (80%), Merlot (18%), Malvasia Nera (2%) grapes.
- Vine age – 25 years average in 2015.
- Grown on soils of clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky.
- Fermented in stainless steel vats at 80°F.
- Aged part in barriques of 2nd and 3rd use, part in stainless steel vats and the bottle.
- Aged for 12 months prior to bottling and 2 months in the bottle.
Sangiovese 80%, Merlot 18% and Malvasia Nera 2%
Black currant, violet and cedar aromas and flavors signal French grapes as an addition to this suave Chianti Classico. There's a hard edge, but overall this remains elegant and complete, with a savory finish. Best from 2016 through 2027. 1,500 cases imported. –BS
I love the balance and juiciness to this young wine, with plums and currants and a fresh herb undertone. Full and silky, with a medium finish. Better in 2013.
|Proprietors||Carlo and Bona Marchi (brothers)|
|Annual Production||12,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|