Villa Collazzi is one of the most impressive estates in all of Tuscany. This architectural landmark was originally designed by Michelangelo in 1560 for his friend, Agostino Dini. It offers commanding views of the surrounding countryside. I Collazzi is a property of the Marchi brothers, Carlo and Bona. During the last decade the Marchi brothers invested heavily in the development of Collazzi’s farming business, renewing the vineyards and restructuring the cellar, with the goal of producing excellent wines.
Grapes / Soils
|Cabernet Sauvignon (55%), Merlot (23%), Cabernet Franc (18%), Petit Verdot (4%)||7 years average in 2010||Clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky||14.8 acres|
- Location: The vineyards grow at Collazzi estate, located in the town of Impruneta (Florence.)
- Surface: 14.82 acres
- Altitude: 590 ft. above sea level
- Exposure: South/West
- Soil Type: Sandy and clay soils, rich in limestone, with an abundantly rocky texture, have led to the choice of planting grapes of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot and only small amounts of the more traditional grapes.
- Density: 2,477 vines per acre
- Training System: Mostly spurred cordon, which is more suited to grape varieties which bear fruit from buds, such as Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.
- Average Age of Vines: 15 years old
- Color: Deep red, with shade of purple.
- Perfume: Pervasive balsamic notes are accompanied by hints of ripe dark, black fruit and flowers in a perfect balance.
- Taste: Long silky and caressing, black truffles with lovely variegated complex sensations. The final is endless, elegant. A master balance.
- Food Pairing: This wine’s structure demands combinations with red meats, in complex preparations, or slowly cooked, such as stews, and blue or long aged cheeses.
- Made from Cabernet Sauvignon (55%), Merlot (23%), Cabernet Franc (18%) and Petit Verdot (4%) grapes.
- Vine age – 18 years average in 2015.
- Grown on soils of clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky.
- Fermented in stainless steel vats at 80°F.
- Aged in 60% new and 40% one year hold barriques and the bottle.
- Aged for 18 months in the barrique and 8 months in the bottle.
- Appellation: I.G.T. Toscana
- Cabernet Sauvignon 60%, Merlot 26%, Cabernet Franc 10% and Petit Verdot 4%
Aromas of currants and minerals with blueberries. Full body, with ultra-fine tannins and fruit. Very balanced and beautiful. Give it three to four years of bottle age. Amazing Bordeaux blend. Best red ever from here. TOP 100 WINES-2013
|Proprietors||Carlo and Bona Marchi (brothers)|
|Annual Production||12,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|