Villa Collazzi is one of the most impressive estates in all of Tuscany. This architectural landmark was originally designed by Michelangelo in 1560 for his friend, Agostino Dini. It offers commanding views of the surrounding countryside. I Collazzi is a property of the Marchi brothers, Carlo and Bona. During the last decade the Marchi brothers invested heavily in the development of Collazzi’s farming business, renewing the vineyards and restructuring the cellar, with the goal of producing excellent wines.
Grapes / Soils
|Merlot, Syrah & small quantities of Sangiovese||18 years average in 2015||Clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky||27.2 acres|
- The vineyards grow at Collazzi estate, located in the town of Impruneta (Florence).
- 27.18 acres
- 590 ft above sea level
- South/West exposure
- Clay soils, rich in limestone, with an abundantly rocky texture.
- 2,477 vines per acre
- Average age of vines- 15 years old.
- Manual harvesting in single boxes. The time lag between harvesting and processing is very short, as the vineyards are all located within 450 yards of the cellar. Each grape variety and single parcel is harvested and processed individually. The grapes are further selected on the sorting table.
- Time of Harvest: From the middle of September to the middle of October.
- Made from Merlot, Syrah & small quantities of Sangiovese grapes.
- Vine age – 18 years average in 2015.
- Grown on soils of clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky.
- Fermented in stainless steel vats at 80°F.
- Aged part in the barrel, part in stainless steel and the bottle.
- Aged for 10 months and an additional 2 months in the bottle.
- Fermentation Temperature: On average 80°F.
- Length of Fermentation: 10 days
- Aging: part in barrel part in stainless steel
- Aging: 10 months
- Bottle Aging: 2 months
This shows a lot of ripe dark fruit character with hints of raisins. Full body, with chewy tannins and an herb, berry and hints of toasted oak aftertaste. A fun blend of 55% Merlot, 30% Syrah, and 15% Sangiovese.
|Proprietors||Carlo and Bona Marchi (brothers)|
|Annual Production||12,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|