Villa Collazzi is one of the most impressive estates in all of Tuscany. This architectural landmark was originally designed by Michelangelo in 1560 for his friend, Agostino Dini. It offers commanding views of the surrounding countryside. I Collazzi is a property of the Marchi brothers, Carlo and Bona. During the last decade the Marchi brothers invested heavily in the development of Collazzi’s farming business, renewing the vineyards and restructuring the cellar, with the goal of producing excellent wines.
Grapes / Soils
|Cabernet Sauvignon (55%), Merlot (23%), Cabernet Franc (18%), Petit Verdot (4%)||18 years average in 2015||Clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky||14.8 acres|
- The vineyards grow at Collazzi estate, located in the town of Impruneta (Florence). 14.82 acres at 590 ft. above sea level.
- Soil Type: Sandy and clay soils, rich in limestone, with an abundantly rocky texture, have led to the choice of planting grapes of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot and only small amounts of the more traditional varieties.
- At Collazzi the microclimate is normally warmer and drier than the surrounding area. Part of the estate lies in a natural amphitheater, with a perfect south-westerly exposure. The high amount of sunlight and the high daily temperatures allow a prolonged, complete ripening of the farming products, consistently each year.
- Yield per Acre: 1.7 tons (US) of wine.
- Harvest: from the middle of September to the middle of October. Manual harvest in single boxes. The time lag between harvesting and processing is very short, as the vineyards are all located within 450 yards of the cellar.
- Aging in barrique, 60% new and 40% one year hold.
- 18 months aging, bottled aging 8 months.
- Made from Cabernet Sauvignon (55%), Merlot (23%), Cabernet Franc (18%), Petit Verdot (4%) grapes.vine age- 18 years average in 2015; grown on soils of clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky. Fermented in stainless steel vats at 80°F. Aged in 60% new and 40%
- Vine age – 18 years average in 2015.
- Grown on soils of clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky.
- Fermented in stainless steel vats at 80°F.
- Aged in 60% new and 40% one year old barriques and the bottle.
- Aged for 18 months in the barrique and 8 months in the bottle.
- Fermentation Vats: Temperature controlled stainless steel vats of 660 and 1,980 gallons (US).
- Fermentation Temperature: On average, 80° F.
- Length of Fermentation: 20 days.
- Maceration: At the end of the alcoholic fermentation, for an additional 15 days.
Lots of ripe fruit with coffee, light raisin and dark chocolate character. Full body, soft, velvety tannins and a long, flavorful finish. A high-extract, big wine with chewy tannins. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. Better in 2016.
Concentrated yet fluid, exhibiting complex aromas and flavors of black currant, cherry, cedar, herb, tobacco and spice. Firm and balanced, this persists through the resonant finish, with a long, spice- and tobacco-tinged aftertaste. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, and Petit Verdot. Drink now through 2022.–B.S.
|Proprietors||Carlo and Bona Marchi (brothers)|
|Annual Production||12,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|