Villa Collazzi is one of the most impressive estates in all of Tuscany. This architectural landmark was originally designed by Michelangelo in 1560 for his friend, Agostino Dini. It offers commanding views of the surrounding countryside. I Collazzi is a property of the Marchi brothers, Carlo and Bona. During the last decade the Marchi brothers invested heavily in the development of Collazzi’s farming business, renewing the vineyards and restructuring the cellar, with the goal of producing excellent wines.
Grapes / Soils
|Sangiovese (80%), Merlot (18%), Malvasia Nera (2%)||25 years average in 2015||Clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky||18 acres|
- The Vineyards grown at Collazzi estate, registered as Chianti Classico DOCG are located in the town of San Casciano Val di Pesa (Florence).
- 17.3 acres, 984 ft above sea level.
- Exposure: South/West
- Clay soils, rich in limestone, with an abundantly rocky texture.
- More than 3,000 vines per acre.
- Vertical trellising, trained with Guyot pruning system, ideal to grow quality Sangiovese grapes.
- Yield per Acre: 2.8 tons
- Time of Harvest: Between the end of September and the first ten days of October.
- Harvest Method: Manual
- Fermentation Vats: Temperature controlled stainless steel vats of 2,600 gallons.
- Fermentation Temperature: Average of 80°F.
- Length of Fermentation: Around 12 days.
- Maceration: At the end of the alcholic fermentation, for an additional 10 days. Part in barriques of 2nd and 3rd use, part in stainless steel vats.
- Length of Aging: 12 months
- Bottled Aging: 2 months
- Made from Sangiovese (80%), Merlot (18%), Malvasia Nera (2%) grapes.
- Vine age – 25 years average in 2015.
- Grown on soils of clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky.
- Fermented in stainless steel vats at 80°F.
- Aged part in barriques of 2nd and 3rd use, part in stainless steel vats and the bottle.
- Aged for 12 months prior to bottling and 2 months in the bottle.
|Proprietors||Carlo and Bona Marchi (brothers)|
|Annual Production||12,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|