Villa Collazzi is one of the most impressive estates in all of Tuscany. This architectural landmark was originally designed by Michelangelo in 1560 for his friend, Agostino Dini. It offers commanding views of the surrounding countryside. I Collazzi is a property of the Marchi brothers, Carlo and Bona. During the last decade the Marchi brothers invested heavily in the development of Collazzi’s farming business, renewing the vineyards and restructuring the cellar, with the goal of producing excellent wines.
Grapes / Soils
|Merlot, Syrah & small quantities of Sangiovese||18 years average in 2015||Clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky||27.2 acres|
- The vineyards grow at Collazzi estate, located in the town of Impruneta (Florence).
- Vineyard: Surface 27.18 acres
- Altitude: 590 ft above sea level
- Exposure: South/West
- Soil Type: Clay soils, rich in limestone, with an abundantly rocky texture.
- Planting Density: 2,477 vines per acre.
- Training System: Mostly spurred cordon.
- Average age of the vines: 15 years old
- Climate: At Collazzi the microclimate is normally warmer and drier than the surrounding area. Part of the estate lies in a natural amphitheater, with a perfect south-westerly exposure. The high amount of sunlight and the high daily temperatures allow a prolonged, complete ripening of the farming products, consistently each year.
- Yield per Acre: 3.0 tons (US) of wine
- Time of Harvest: From the middle of September to the middle of October.
- Harvest method: Manual, in single boxes. The time lag between harvesting and processing is very short, as the vineyards are all located within 450 yards from the cellar. Each grape variety and single parcel is harvested and processed individually. The grapes are further selected on the sorting table.
- Fermentation Vats: Temperature controlled stainless steel vats of 2,600 gallons.
- Fermentation Temperature: On average, 80°F.
- Length of Fermentation: 10 days
- Maceration: At the end of the alcoholic fermentation, for 10 days.
- Malolactic Fermentation: In stainless steel vats.
- Aging: Part in barrel, part in stainless steel.
- length of Aging: 10 months.
- Bottled Aging: 2 months.
- Merlot, Syrah and small quantitites of Sangiovese.
- Alc. by volume: 14%
- Made from Merlot, Syrah & small quantities of Sangiovese grapes.
- Vine age – 18 years average in 2015.
- Grown on soils of clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky.
- Fermented in stainless steel vats at 80°F.
- Aged part in the barrel, part in stainless steel and the bottle.
- Aged for 10 months and an additional 2 months in the bottle.
A pure, beautiful wine with plum, peach and berry character. Full body with fine tannins and fresh finish. Very silky. Always excellent value. Drink now.
|Proprietors||Carlo and Bona Marchi (brothers)|
|Annual Production||12,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|