Villa Collazzi is one of the most impressive estates in all of Tuscany. This architectural landmark was originally designed by Michelangelo in 1560 for his friend, Agostino Dini. It offers commanding views of the surrounding countryside. I Collazzi is a property of the Marchi brothers, Carlo and Bona. During the last decade the Marchi brothers invested heavily in the development of Collazzi’s farming business, renewing the vineyards and restructuring the cellar, with the goal of producing excellent wines.
Grapes / Soils
|Petit Verdot 100%||18 years average in 2015||Clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky||1.3 acres|
- Vineyard: The vineyards are grown at Collazzi estate, located in the town of Impruneta (Florence).
- Vineyard Surface: 1 acre from which only a small portion is used to produce Ferro.
- Altitude: 491.96 ft. above sea level
- Exposure: South-West/ North-East
- Soil Type: Sandy and clay soils, rich in limestone, with an abundantly rocky texture
- Planting Density: 6,120 plants per acre
- Training System: Bilateral spurred cordon
- Average Age of the Vines: 18 years old
- Climate: During the ripening phase, the grapes were exposed to a continuous high level of irrigation, with daily high temperatures but never excessive and mild during the night. Brief September rains prompted us to further increase the selection of grapes by limiting production but enhancing the concentration and aromaticity of the juice.
- Yield per Acre: 40 hl per acre- from which only a small percentage is used to make Ferro
- Time of Harvest: End of September
- Harvest Method: Manual, in single boxes. The time lag between harvesting and processing is very short, as the vineyards are all located within 450 yards from the cellar. Each grape variety and single parcel is harvested and processed individually. The grapes are further selected on the sorting table.
- Fermentation Vats: Temperature controlled stainless steel vats of 25 hl
- Fermentation Temperature: 86°F
- Length of Fermentation: 10 days
- Maceration: 35 days
- Malolactic Fermentation: Spontaneous in stainless steel
- Aging: New French oak barriques, 15 barriques from which only the best 5 are selected for Ferro
- Length of Aging: 24 months. Only one pour off.
- Bottled Aging: 12 months
- Color: Intense, decisive, with purple highlights.
- Perfume: Marasca cherry, sherry with a long fresh finish enhanced by a hint of cocoa.
- Taste: Impressive and harmonious. Denotes the extraordinary selection conducted in the vineyard and the meticulous attention given to each phase of the process and aging.
- Food Pairing Suggestions: The best pairing is with your closest friends.
- Made from Petit Verdot 100% grapes.
- Vine age – 18 years average in 2015.
- Grown on soils of clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky.
- Fermented in stainless steel tanks.
- Appelation: I.G.T. Toscana
- Grape Varieties: Petit Verdot 100%
- Main Characteristics: The desire to create something unique and incomparable
The spice and meat character comes through here with lots of dried dark fruits to add. Full body, lots of new wood and vanilla aftertaste. Needs a year or two to come together.
|Proprietors||Carlo and Bona Marchi (brothers)|
|Annual Production||12,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|