Villa Collazzi is one of the most impressive estates in all of Tuscany. This architectural landmark was originally designed by Michelangelo in 1560 for his friend, Agostino Dini. It offers commanding views of the surrounding countryside. I Collazzi is a property of the Marchi brothers, Carlo and Bona. During the last decade the Marchi brothers invested heavily in the development of Collazzi’s farming business, renewing the vineyards and restructuring the cellar, with the goal of producing excellent wines.
Grapes / Soils
|Merlot, Syrah & small quantities of Sangiovese||18 years average in 2015||Clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky||27.2 acres|
- Vineyard: The vineyards grown at Collazzi estate, located in the town of Impruneta (Florence).
- Vineyard Surface: 27.18 acres
- Altitude: 590 ft. above sea level
- Exposure: South/West
- Soil Type: Clay soils, rich limestone, with an abundantly rocky texture
- Planting Density: 2,477 vines per acre
- Training System: Mostly spurred cordon
- Average Age of the Vines: 15 years old
- Climate: At Collazzi the microclimate is normally warmer and drier than the surrounding area. Part of the estate lies in a natural amphitheater, with a perfect south-westerly exposure. The high amount of sun light and the high daily temperatures allow a prolonged, complete ripening of the farming products, consistently each year.
- Yield per Acre: 3.0 tons
- Time of Harvest: From the middle of September to the middle of October
- Harvest Method: Manual, in single boxes. The time lag between harvesting and processing is very short, as the vineyards are all located within 450 yards from the cellar. Each grape variety and single parcel is harvested and processed individually. The grapes are further selected on the sorting table.
- Fermentation Vats: Temperature controlled stainless steel vats of 2,600 gallons
- Fermentation Temperature: On average, 80°F
- Length of Fermentation: 10 days
- Maceration: At the end of the alcoholic fermentation, for 10 days
- Malolactic Fermentation: In stainless steel vats
- Aging: Part in barrel, part in stainless steel
- Length of Aging: 10 months
- Bottled Aging: 2 months
- Color: Very deep, it tells of the excellent quality of the grapes
- Perfume: Balsamic, typical of the main grape variety in the blend
- Taste: Round, pervasive, with sweet tannins, perfectly balanced. Complex, long, yet not overpowering.
- Food Pairing Suggestions: From appetizers like cold cuts, to steamy pasta dishes in meat sauces. Not to be forgotten, the pairing with seasonal cheeses, stewed meats and dry chocolate biscuits.
- Made from Merlot, Syrah & small quantities of Sangiovese grapes.
- Vine age – 18 years average in 2015.
- Grown on soils of clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky.
- Fermented in stainless steel vats at 80°F.
- Aged part in the barrel, part in stainless steel and the bottle.
- Aged for 10 months and an additional 2 months in the bottle.
- Appellation: I.G.T. Toscana
- Grape Varieties: Merlot, Syrah, and small quantities of Sangiovese
- Main Characteristics: Libertà is made with grapes from the Collazzi estate. The wine’s goal is to achieve a delicious balance between the Merlot’s soft tannins, Syrah’s richness in spices and the elegant fragrance of Sangiovese. The wine owes its name to a donation that the City of Florence made to eight local families, among which were the former owners of Collazzi, who had valiantly fought for the city’s freedom.
A dense and rich red with a dried cherry, vanilla and berry character. Full body, round tannins and a fresh finish. Fun blend of Merlot, Syrah and Sangiovese. Drink now.
|Proprietors||Carlo and Bona Marchi (brothers)|
|Annual Production||12,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|