Villa Collazzi is one of the most impressive estates in all of Tuscany. This architectural landmark was originally designed by Michelangelo in 1560 for his friend, Agostino Dini. It offers commanding views of the surrounding countryside. I Collazzi is a property of the Marchi brothers, Carlo and Bona. During the last decade the Marchi brothers invested heavily in the development of Collazzi’s farming business, renewing the vineyards and restructuring the cellar, with the goal of producing excellent wines.
Grapes / Soils
|Petit Verdot 100%||18 years average in 2015||Clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky||1.3 acres|
Traditionally, Petit Verdot, has been considered a loyal ally in creating blends of excellence. Here at Collazzi we made our Petit Verdot the protagonist of this unique wine due to its strength and distinguished aroma. Extraordinarily rich, deep, complex and concentrated, yet remarkably elegant and graceful, Ferro shows incredible longevity and aromatic freshness. Aged for 24 months in new french oak which completes the wine’s structure and complexity. Produced from a single vineyard overlooking the beautiful town of Florence where nature was particularly kind in providing favorable conditions to allow Petit Verdot to reach full maturity.
- Size of vineyard: 2 acres
- Soil composition: Sandy and clay soils, rich in limestone, with an abundantly rocky texture
- Training method: Bilateral spurred cordon
- Elevation: 491.96 ft. above sea leavel
- Vines/acre: 6,100
- Exposure: Southwest/Northeast
- Year vineyard planted: 1998
- Harvest time: End of September
- First vintage of this wine: 2010
- Number of bottles produced: 2,900
- Fermentation container: Temperature controlled small stainless steel vats
- Length of alcoholic fermentation: 10 days
- Fermentation temperature: 86°F
- Aging container: Oak barrel
- Size of aging containers: 225 L
- Age of aging containers: 100% new
- Cooperage: French
- Length of aging before bottling: 24 months
- Length of bottle aging: 12 months
- Intense, decisive, with purple highlights.
- Marasca cherry, sherry with a long fresh finish enhanced by a hint of cocoa.
- Impressive and harmonious.
- Denotes the extraordinary selection conducted in the vineyard and, the meticolous attention given to each phase of the process and aging.
- Made from Petit Verdot 100% grapes.
- Vine age – 18 years average in 2015.
- Grown on soils of clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky.
- Fermented in stainless steel tanks.
- Varietal: Petit Verdot 100%
- Alcohol: 14.0%
- pH level: 3.62
- Acidity: 5.6 g/L
- Dry extract: 35.1 g/L
Unique aromas of red fruits as well as rust and iron. Full body, dusty tannins and a rich and powerful palate. Very persistent palate yet fresh and vibrant at the same time. Petit verdot. Drink in 2019 but so excellent now.
The 2013 Ferro dei Collazzi, 100% Petit Verdot, is dark, sumptuous and super-expressive. Dark plum, herb, licorice and lavender are fused together in a deep, richly-textured wine endowed with real personality. Mocha, plum, lavender and menthol, along with a hit of Petit Verdot tannin, make strong closing statement. This is a terrific showing from Collazzi and the Frescobaldi family. Drinking window 2017-2025.
|Proprietors||Carlo and Bona Marchi (brothers)|
|Annual Production||12,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|