Villa Collazzi is one of the most impressive estates in all of Tuscany. This architectural landmark was originally designed by Michelangelo in 1560 for his friend, Agostino Dini. It offers commanding views of the surrounding countryside. I Collazzi is a property of the Marchi brothers, Carlo and Bona. During the last decade the Marchi brothers invested heavily in the development of Collazzi’s farming business, renewing the vineyards and restructuring the cellar, with the goal of producing excellent wines.
Grapes / Soils
|Cabernet Sauvignon (50%), Merlot (21%), Cabernet Franc (25%), Petit Verdot (4%)||18 years average in 2015||Clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky||14.8 acres|
- The hillside vineyards of the Collazzi estate are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon(50%), Cabernet Franc(25%), Merlot(21%), and Petit Verdot(4%). From low-yielding vines, we source beautifull grapes with optimum levels of tannins and aromas. Following a long vinification, our Collazzi wine ages in new French Oak barrels for 18 months.
- Size of Vineyard (acres): 14.82
- Soil Composition: Sandy and clay soils, rich in limestone, with an abundantly rocky texture
- Training Method: Spurred cordon
- Elevation (feet): 590 ft. above sea level
- Vines/acre: 2,477 vine per acres
- Yield/acres (tons): 1.7 tons
- Exposure: South/West
- Year Vineyard Planted: 1996
- First Vintage of this Wine: 1999
- Number of bottles produced of this wine: 21,800
- Aging container: Oak barrel
- Size of Aging Containers: 225 lt
- Age of Ageing Containers: In barrique, 60% new and 40% 1 year old
- Cooperage: French
- Length of Aging Before Bottling: 18 months
- Length of Bottle Ageing: 10 months
- Fermentation Container: Stainless Steal Vats
- Length of Alcoholic Fermentation (days): 20
- Fermentation Temperature ( °F): 80
- Deep red, with shade of purple.
- Pervasive balsamic notes are accompanied by hints of ripe dark, black fruit and flowers in a perfect aromatic balance.
- Long silky and caressing, black truffles with lovely variegated complex sensations.
- The final is endless, elegant.
- A master in balance.
- Made from Cabernet Sauvignon (50%), Merlot (21%), Cabernet Franc (25%), Petit Verdot (4%) grapes.
- Vine age- 18 years average in 2015.
- Grown on soils of clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky.
- Fermented in stainless steel vats at 80°F.
- Aged in 60% new and 40% one year hold barriques and the bottle.
- Aged for 18 months in the barrique and 8 months in the bottle.
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- pH Level: 3.4
- Acidity (grams/liter): 5.5 Tartaric acid
- Dry Extract (grams/liter): 35.4
Collazzi 2001: 91 – Collazzi 2002: 91 – Collazzi 2003: 91 – Collazzi 2004: 92 – Collazzi 2005: 92 – Collazzi 2006: 90 – Collazzi 2007: 92 – Collazzi 2008: 94 – Collazzi 2009: 92 – Collazzi 2010: 95 – Collazzi 2011: 91 – Collazzi 2012: 93 – Collazzi 2013: 94
Gambero Rosso – 2 bicchieri
Collazzi 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Ian d’Agata – Tanzer – Top 100 d’Italia
Collazzi 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
Lots of blueberry and blackberry aromas here follow through to a full body, chewy and velvety tannins and a long and flavorful finish. Structured and very rich. Bordeaux blend. Needs at least three or four years to soften.
The 2013 Collazzi, the estate’s Cabernet Sauvignon-based blend is dark, fleshy and super-expressive. Dark red cherry, plum, smoke, tobacco, licorice and herbs wrap around the palate, while sweet tobacco, herbs, licorice and menthol infuse the savory, perfumed finish. Drinking window 2017-2025.
|Proprietors||Carlo and Bona Marchi (brothers)|
|Annual Production||12,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|