Villa Collazzi is one of the most impressive estates in all of Tuscany. This architectural landmark was originally designed by Michelangelo in 1560 for his friend, Agostino Dini. It offers commanding views of the surrounding countryside. I Collazzi is a property of the Marchi brothers, Carlo and Bona. During the last decade the Marchi brothers invested heavily in the development of Collazzi’s farming business, renewing the vineyards and restructuring the cellar, with the goal of producing excellent wines.
Grapes / Soils
|Sangiovese (80%), Merlot (18%), Black Malvasia (2%)||25 years average||Clayey and calcareous, very rich in stone||18 acres|
- Vineyard: The vineyards grown at Collazzi estate, registered as Chianti Classico DOCG are located in the town of San Casciano Val di Pesa (Florence)
- Vineyard Surface: 17.30 acres
- Altitude: 984 ft. above sea level
- Exposure: South/West
- Soil Type: Clay soils, rich in limestone, with an abundantly rocky texture
- Planting Density: More than 3,000 vines per acre
- Training System: Vertical trellising, traine with Guyot pruning system, ideal to grow quality Sangiovese grapes
- Average age of the vines: 24 years
- Climate: Continental, with cold winters and hot summers. Different from year to year, with consistently hot and dry summers, which bring Sangiovese to its ideal ripening stage.
- Yield per acre: 2.8 tons
- Time of Harvest: Between the end of September and the first of October
- Harvest Method: Manual
- Fermentation Vats: Temperature controlled stainless steel vats of 2,600 gallons
- Fermentation Temperature: Average of 80°F
- Length of Fermentation: Around 12 days
- Maceration: At the end of the alcoholic fermentation, for an additional 10 days
- Malolactic Fermentation: Part in barriques of 2nd and 3rd use, part in stainless steel vats
- Ageing: In barriques, of 2nd and 3rd use
- Length of Ageing: 12 months
- Bottle Ageing: 2 months
- Color: Magnificent ruby red, with dark sparkles.
- Perfume: Notes of cherries, spices dark, combine with perfume of small red fruits and spices.
- Taste: Tasty, mineral, complex, with a gentle, captivating tannic structure. The long final makes this wine ideal to enjoy with food.
- Food pairing: Bastioni is the best companion of the good cuisine. This wine’s structure demands combinations with red meats, such as steak and filet.
Made with wine making techniques similar to Collazzi, “Bastioni” combines the elegance and pleasantness of Sangiovese, its main grape varietal, with the roundness and power that small parts of Merlot and Malvasia Nera give to the wine: juicy, ripe tannins give complexity and character to this wine.
- Made from Sangiovese (80%), Merlot (18%), Black Malvasia (2%) grapes.
- Vine age- 25 years average.
- Grown in soils clayey and calcareous, very rich in stone
- Fermented in stainless steel vats at 80°F.
- Aged part in barriques of 2nd and 3rd use, part in stainless steel vats and the bottle.
- Aged for 12 months prior to bottling and 2 months in the bottle.
- Grape Varieties – 80% Sangiovese, 18% Merlot, 2% Black Malvasia
A fresh and very finely textured Chianti Classico with cherries and plums and hints of chocolate. Medium body and soft tannins, yet crisp and clean. Shows tension for the vintage. Drink now or hold.
The 2017 Chianti Classico Bastioni dei Collazzi reveals a hint of its vintage heat with aromas of black fruit, olive and scorched earth. This wine is thin and very simple in terms of mouthfeel. It makes for no-fuss drinking and easy food pairings. The blend is 80% Sangiovese and 20% Malvasia Nera. Some 48,000 bottles were made. 2019 – 2022
|Proprietors||Carlo and Bona Marchi (brothers)|
|Annual Production||12,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|