Villa Collazzi is one of the most impressive estates in all of Tuscany. This architectural landmark was originally designed by Michelangelo in 1560 for his friend, Agostino Dini. It offers commanding views of the surrounding countryside. I Collazzi is a property of the Marchi brothers, Carlo and Bona. During the last decade the Marchi brothers invested heavily in the development of Collazzi’s farming business, renewing the vineyards and restructuring the cellar, with the goal of producing excellent wines.
Grapes / Soils
|Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Syrah||20 years average age||Clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky||27.18 a|
Libertà is made with grapes from the Collazzi estate. This wine expresses great balance between the soft tannins of Merlot, the aromatic complexity of Cabernet Franc and elegant spiciness of Syrah. The wine owes its name to a donation that the City of Florence made to eight local families, among which the former owners of Collazzi, who had valiantly fought for the city’s freedom.
- Vineyard: Collazzi estate, located in the town of Impruente (Florence)
- Planting area: 27.18 acres
- Altitude: 590 ft.
- Exposure: South / West
- Soils: Clay soils, rich in limestone, with an abundantly rocky texture
- Planting Density: 2,477 vines per acre
- Training System: Mostly spurred cordon
- Average vine age: 20 years
- Microclimate: warmer and drier than surrounding areas, isolation and mild temperatures allow for prolonged hang time and complete maturation
- Hand harvested into baskets
- Quickly transported to very close cellar
- Berries hand selected on sorting table
- Each variety vinified separately
- Malolactic fermentation at 25º C in tanks
- Aging: 1 year in wooden casks and tanks
- Bottle aged 2 months before release
Deep red color, denoting the excellent quality of the grapes. A balsamic perfume of Merlot. In the mouth the wine is enveloping with soft tannins, leaving the palate in exemplary balance. Complex and long without being impetuous.
55% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Franc, 15% Syrah; alcohol: 14%; rocky clay soils, rich in limestone; average vine age 20 years; each variety hand harvested and vinified separately; malolactic fermentation at 25º C in tanks; aged 1 year in wooden casks and tanks; bottled aged 2 months before release.
- 55% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Franc, 15% Syrah grapes
- Alcohol: 14%
A soft, round wine with blackberries, chocolate and some blueberries. It’s full bodied, round and very succulent and juicy. Better to give it a year or two to soften. Try after 2021.
The 2018 Liberta’ dei Collazzi is a blend of 50% Merlot, 35% Cabernet Franc, 15% Syrah, but what comes through most is its distinctive Tuscan DNA. Black cherry, plum, leather, licorice and spice are front and center in this delicious, wonderfully inviting Tuscan red. 2020 – 2028
|Proprietors||Carlo and Bona Marchi (brothers)|
|Annual Production||12,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|