Villa Collazzi is one of the most impressive estates in all of Tuscany. This architectural landmark was originally designed by Michelangelo in 1560 for his friend, Agostino Dini. It offers commanding views of the surrounding countryside. I Collazzi is a property of the Marchi brothers, Carlo and Bona. During the last decade the Marchi brothers invested heavily in the development of Collazzi’s farming business, renewing the vineyards and restructuring the cellar, with the goal of producing excellent wines.
Grapes / Soils
|Petit Verdot 100%||20 years average||Clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky||1.3 acres|
- Origin – Vineyard owned by the Tenuta I Collazzi facing the city of Florence
- Surface of Vineyard – 1 ha, of which only a small portion is used to produce Ferro
- Altitude – 150 meters above sea level
- Exporsue – South-West/North-East
- Soil Type – Clayey and calcareous, very rich in stone and therefore suitable for vegetative containment
- Plant Density – 6120 plants/ha
- Training System – Bilateral spurred cordon
- Average age of Vineyard – 20 years
- Weather Conditions – Micro-climate normally warmer and drier than the surrounding areas. A part of the property lies in a natural amphitheater, with a perfect South-West exposure. The abundant insulation and the mildly average daytime temperatures, allow a prolonged and complete maturation of the grapes, homogeneous from year to year.
- Harvest Method – Manual and in boxes. The fruits of the vineyard are transported in the cellar in a very short time, given the centrality of the winery with respect to the vineyards
- Fermentation Temperature – Maximum 30°C
- Malolactic Fermentation – Spontaneous in the tank
- Refinement Duration – 24 months
- Color – Intense, solid, with purple reflections
- Perfume – Marasca, sherry with a long balsamic finish enhanced by slight hints of cocoa
- Taste – Impressive and harmonious, given by the total attention paid to each subsequent stage in the vineyard, processing and refinement
- Made from Petit Verdot 100% grapes.
- Vine age – 20 years average.
- Grown on soils of clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky.
- Fermented in stainless steel tanks.
- Varietal – Petite Verdot 100%
|Proprietors||Carlo and Bona Marchi (brothers)|
|Annual Production||12,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|