Villa Collazzi is one of the most impressive estates in all of Tuscany. This architectural landmark was originally designed by Michelangelo in 1560 for his friend, Agostino Dini. It offers commanding views of the surrounding countryside. I Collazzi is a property of the Marchi brothers, Carlo and Bona. During the last decade the Marchi brothers invested heavily in the development of Collazzi’s farming business, renewing the vineyards and restructuring the cellar, with the goal of producing excellent wines.
Grapes / Soils
|Wine||Blend||Vine Age||Soil Type||Vineyard Area ha or acres|
|Ferro dei Collazzi (IGT red)||Petit Verdot 100%||22 years average in 2019||Clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky||1.3 acres|
- Origin: vineyard owned by the Tenuta I Collazzi facing the city of Florence
- Vines: 1 ha, of which only a small portion is used to produce Ferro
- Altitude: 150 meters
- Exposure: South-South West
- Soil Type: clayey and calcareous, with an abundance of stones
- Plant density: 6120 plants/ha
- Training system: Bilateral spurred cordon
- Average vine age: 22 years
Intensely colored, with purple reflections. At the palate cherry and black cherry are enhanced by chocolate notes. The taste is imposing and harmonious, the structure is incredibly balanced by the tannins and the body.
Made from 100% Petit Verdot grapes; vine age 22 years; grown in rocky, calcareous soils; grapes hand harvested and berries selected on a sorting table; fermented in stainless steel tanks; barrel aged 24 months.
- 100% Petit Verdot
- Aged 24 months in barriques
- Bottle aged at least 2 months
- Grapes are harvested manually and berries selected on sorting table
There’s such a purity of fruit here with ultra-fine tannins that are polished and pretty. A full and reserved. So much potential here.
|Proprietors||Carlo and Bona Marchi (brothers)|
|Annual Production||12,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|