Villa Collazzi is one of the most impressive estates in all of Tuscany. This architectural landmark was originally designed by Michelangelo in 1560 for his friend, Agostino Dini. It offers commanding views of the surrounding countryside. I Collazzi is a property of the Marchi brothers, Carlo and Bona. During the last decade the Marchi brothers invested heavily in the development of Collazzi’s farming business, renewing the vineyards and restructuring the cellar, with the goal of producing excellent wines.
Grapes / Soils
|Cabernet Sauvignon (50%), Merlot (20%), Cabernet Franc (25%), Petit Verdot (5%)||18 years average in 2015||Clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky||14.82 acres|
Toscana Rosso IGT Tenuta I Collazzi’s flagship wine was first produced in 1999; the grapes are all picked from our estate vineyards. The blend is made up of four varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot, all hand-harvested into small boxes and fermented separately. In the cellar the individual berries are examined by hand on a sorting table to eliminate even the smallest foreign matter, such as damaged grapes and leaf fragments. Fermentation in small, stainless steel tanks at 26-30°C is followed by maceration on the skins for about 18 days. Malolactic fermentation is mainly in oak, as is subsequent ageing, which lasts 18 months; the barriques may be new or even once-used, as it is important to prevent the oak from overpowering the fruit. Before release, the wine is bottle-aged for a further 12 months. The elegance and complex aromatic profile of the Cabernet Sauvignon and the Cabernet Franc blend with the opulence of the Merlot and the intensity of the Petit Verdot to create a magnificent wine.
- Size of Vineyard (acres): 14.82
- Soil Composition: Sandy and clay soils, rich in limestone, with an abundantly rocky texture
- Training Method: Spurred cordon
- Elevation (feet): 590 ft. above sea level
- Vines/acre: 2,477 vine per acres
- Yield/acres (tons): 1.7 tons
- Exposure: South/West
- Year Vineyard Planted: 1996
- First Vintage of this Wine: 1999
- Number of bottles produced of this wine: 21,800
- Harvest Time: Mid-September to mid-October
- Aging container: Oak barrel
- Size of Aging Containers: 225 lt
- Age of Ageing Containers: In barrique, 60% new and 40% 1 year old
- Cooperage: French
- Length of Aging Before Bottling: 18 months
- Length of Bottle Ageing: 10 months
- Fermentation Container: Stainless Steal Vats
- Length of Alcoholic Fermentation (days): 20
- Fermentation Temperature ( °F): 80
The elegance and aromatic complexity of Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc, together with the opulence of Merlot and the intensity of Petit Verdot, are the main characteristics of this magnificent wine.
- Deep red, with shade of purple.
- Pervasive balsamic notes are accompanied by hints of ripe dark, black fruit and flowers in a perfect aromatic balance.
- Long silky and caressing, black truffles with lovely variegated complex sensations.
- The final is endless, elegant.
- A master in balance.
- The wine’s structure demands combinations with red meats, such as stake, filet, grilled vegetables, and cheese.
- Made from Cabernet Sauvignon (50%), Merlot (20%), Cabernet Franc (25%), Petit Verdot (5%) grapes.
- Vine age- 18 years average in 2015.
- Grown on soils of sand and clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky.
- Fermented in stainless steel vats at 80°F.
- Aged in 60% new and 40% one year hold barriques and the bottle.
- Aged for 18 months in the barrique and 8 months in the bottle.
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- pH level: 3.4
- Acidity: 5.5 Tartaric Acid
- Dry Extract: 35.4
A blend of 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 21% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Franc and 4% Petit Verdot, the 2015 Collazzi is a dark and impenetrable red wine that sits heavily in the glass, emitting pulses of power, brawn and unmistakable determination. The bouquet is compact and thickly layered with smoke, tobacco, black fruit, prune, blackberry preserves and campfire ash. You get it all with this opulent barrique-aged Tuscan blend. The finish is enriched, extracted and smooth. Those firm tannins are neatly folded in at the back of this bold Tuscan red.
The aromas of tar, blackberries, blackcurrants and licorice are impressive. Full-bodied, layered and juicy with lots of fruit and ripe tannins. A long and flavorful finish. A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. Give it time to mellow. Better in 2020.
|Proprietors||Carlo and Bona Marchi (brothers)|
|Annual Production||12,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|