Villa Collazzi is one of the most impressive estates in all of Tuscany. This architectural landmark was originally designed by Michelangelo in 1560 for his friend, Agostino Dini. It offers commanding views of the surrounding countryside. I Collazzi is a property of the Marchi brothers, Carlo and Bona. During the last decade the Marchi brothers invested heavily in the development of Collazzi’s farming business, renewing the vineyards and restructuring the cellar, with the goal of producing excellent wines.
Grapes / Soils
|Wine||Blend||Vine Age||Soil Type||Vineyard Area ha or acres|
|Ferro dei Collazzi (IGT red)||Petit Verdot 100%||25 years average||Clay rich in limestone, abundantly rocky||1.3 acres|
- Vineyard: estate Collazzi, facing Florence
- Soil: clay and limestone, partly sandy, rich in minerals
- Vine age: average 25 years
- Altitude: 150 meters
- Exposure: South-Southwest
- Climate: warmer and drier than surrounding areas. Part of property lies in a natural amphitheater, with perfect South-Southwest exposure. Isolation and mild daytime temperatures allow for prolonged and complete maturation of grapes.
- Hand harvested into baskets, very quickly transported to cellar
- Manual selectin of berries on sorting table
- Fermented in stainless steel tanks at maximum temperature of 30°C
- Aging: 24 months in 225L oak barrels
Thanks to the Petit Verdot cultivated at Collazzi, it is possible to obtain a unique complexity and intensity. The manual selection in the vineyard of every bunch, makes this Petit Verdot even more unique in its kind.
Intense and deep red, with purple reflections. Marasca, sherry with a long balsamic finish enhanced by light hints of cocoa.
Full bodied and harmonious, given the total attention paid to each subsequent stage in the vineyard, vinification and aging.
100% Petit Verdot; estate vineyard facing Florence; soils clay and limestone with sand, rich in minerals; average vine age 25 years; hand harvested into baskets; manual berry selection on the sorting table; fermented in stainless steel tanks; aged in 225L oak barriques for 24 months.
- 100% Petit Verdot
Blackberry and blueberry aromas with hints of spice and dried flowers. Full body and soft yet firm tannins with blackberries and blueberries. Hints of hazelnuts. Pure petit verdot.
The 2016 Ferro dei Collazzi, the estate’s pure Petit Verdot, is loaded with dark, inky blue/purplish fruit, sweet oak, spice, lavender and mint notes. Soft and plush on the palate, with terrific persistence, the 2016 is a very pretty wine. The Ferro dei Collazzi is not super varietally expressive, as it doesn’t have the tannic heft that is typical of PV, but that softer feel does give it a good deal of charm and immediate appeal.
|Proprietors||Carlo and Bona Marchi (brothers)|
|Annual Production||12,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|