Domaine de la Guilloterie
For six generations, from 1835, the Duveau family has produced wine at their estate, Domaine de La Guilloterie, in the Saumur Champigny region of the Loire Valley. Now, Patrice and Philippe Duveau carry on the family legacy and manage the 50 hectare (123 acre) estate.
Grapes / Soils
|Cabernet Franc (90%), Cabernet Sauvignon (10%)||Planted 1980 – 2005||Calcerous, rocky “Tuffeau”||5 ha|
- Situated just south of the Loire River, Saumur Champigny is technically part of the province of Anjou, however the wines are more akin to the adjoining province of Touraine to the east.
- Chenin Blanc was the traditional grape of the region planted on the calcareous rocky soils known as TUFFEAU.
- Chenin Blanc was prone to chlorosis, a condition in which leaves produce insufficient chlorophyll, so in the 1990s Cabernet Franc was widely planted.
- Now Chenin Blanc and Cabernet Franc are the primary grape varieties of the region where dry and sweet versions of Chenin abound along with bountiful quantities of Cremant from the same grape.
- Reds and rosés are made from Cabernet Franc.
- The Duveaus farm under Sustainable Agriculture principles.
- The vineyards are covered with native grasses to promote soil health and reduce vine vigor.
- Green harvesting and removal of leaves is performed to insure quality and health of the grapes.
- At harvest, grapes are carefully selected on a sorting table prior to de-stemming.
- Maceration and pumping over the must takes place in temperature controlled stainless steel tanks.
- Fermentation lasts for 14-18 days.
- The wine remains in tank for 10 months before bottling at the estate.
- Deep dark color.
- Chewy and so juicy nose on fresh and ripe dark fruits notes and silky approach.
- Spicy and peppery ripe palate with the perfect Cab. Franc and terroir expression, remaining silky and long.
- Made from Cabernet Franc (90%), Cabernet Sauvignon (10%) grapes.
- Vine age – planted 1980 – 2005.
- Grown on soils of Calcerous, rocky “Tuffeau.”
- Fermented in stainless steel tanks.
- Aged in stainless steel tanks.
- Aged for 10 months.
- Alcohol: 13.0%
- 90% Cabernet Franc
- 10% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Terroir: Limestone-clay soil-Chalky subsoil called “Tuffeau.”
- Vine age – 10 to 35 years
Lively, with bitter cherry and damson plum fruit laced with a prominent tobacco leaf edge, picking up light savory and olive accents on the unadorned finish. Textbook. Best from 2018 through 2022.
|Proprietors||Patrice and Philippe Duveau|
|Winemaker||Patrice and Philippe Duveau|
|Annual Production||4,500 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|