Domaine de la Guilloterie
For six generations, from 1835, the Duveau family has produced wine at their estate, Domaine de La Guilloterie, in the Saumur Champigny region of the Loire Valley. Now, Patrice and Philippe Duveau carry on the family legacy and manage the 50 hectare (123 acre) estate.
Grapes / Soils
|Wine||Blend||Vine Age||Soil Type||Vineyard Area ha or acres|
|Saumur Champigny Les Loges||100% Cabernet Franc||Over 50 years||Limestone-clay, chalky subsoil called “Tuffeau”||1.28 ha|
- Vineyards owned by Duveau family since 1835 for six generations
- Now led by Patrice and son Remi
- Domaine de la Guilloterie vineyards in the Saumur region spread over 50 ha in Saint-Cyr en Bourg, south of the Loire river
- 1.28 ha over 4 plots devoted to Les Loges, with calcareous soils with good drainage that quickly warm in the sun
- Vines over 50 years old
- Vineyard certified HEV level 2, with 100% native grass cover to promote soil health
- Leaf removal to promote grape health
- Training system: Guyot
- Guyot simple short pruning and leaf removal
- Immediately after harvesting, very precise hand selection performed on the sorting table
- 1 month maceration and micro-oxygenation in temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks
- Aged 12 months in tank, bottled in September
- Bottle aged in Tuffeau underground cellars for 12 months before release
Round and already opulent nose on red and dark fruits (prunes, blackberries), remaining fresh. Full and round palate with blackcurrant, licorice, and fresh minty notes. Ample and very serious length with round and silky tannins, ending on licorice. A big and classy Loire!
100% Cabernet Franc; Alcohol: 14.5%; vines over 50 years old; soils limestone-clay with chalky subsoil called “Tuffeau;” vineyards sustainably certified HEV level 2; Guyot simple short pruning; very selective berry sorting; 1 month maceration and micro-oxygenation; 12 months aging in stainless steel tanks; 12 months bottle aging in Tuffeau underground cellars before release.
- 100% Cabernet Franc grapes
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- Certified Sustainable Agriculture Practices HVE 2
This stylish, single-parcel wine is aged in tank to preserve freshness and fruitiness. Acidity and red-berry flavors meld with a hint of pepper and smokiness at the end. Still full of young fruits, the wine will benefit from more aging. Drink from 2021.
|Proprietors||Patrice and Philippe Duveau|
|Winemaker||Patrice and Philippe Duveau|
|Annual Production||4,500 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|