Domaine du Pré Semelé
Domaine du Pré Semelé lies in a tiny valley a few miles northwest of the hilltop town of Sancerre. The estate is managed by the third generation of the family Raimbault, brothers Julien and Clément, vigneron and winemaker, respectively. They are guided by their father Rémy, who has worked their vineyards for decades with his brother Claude. This is another wonderful example of the younger generation taking over the reigns of a family estate and elevating it to a new higher level.
Grapes / Soils
|Sauvignon Blanc||Age of Vines 6 – 41 years||Calcareous clay, limestone subsoil|
- Vineyard Area: 34.6 acres / 14 ha
- Soils: Calcareous clay, 70% “Terres Blanches” (white earth), 30% “Caillottes” (little stones) with limestone subsoil
- Vine Age: 6 – 41 years
- Planting Density: 6,500 – 8,000 vines/ha
- Yield: 65 hl/ha
- Organically oriented vineyard management
- Soils plowed, grass cover crops between rows
- No chemical herbicides, insecticides or anti-rot products
- Careful mechanical harvesting at peak ripeness
- 3.5 hour, gentle pressing, each lot vinified separately
- 48 hours cold stabilization at 46ºF
- Neutral yeast
- Fermented 3 weeks in temperature controlled stainless steel tanks at 59 -64ºF
- Aged on fine lees
- Fined with bentonite (natural clay)
- Cellulose filtered and bottled in Spring
A fresh, harmonious cuvée! Crisp, crunchy grapefruit and lime citrus flavors combine with a subtle herbaceous element that adds complexity, leading to a long, saline finish.
Enjoy as an aperitif, or savor with grilled fish and seafood.
100% Sauvignon Blanc, alcohol: 13.5%; soils: calcareous clay (70% “Terres Blanches (white earth), 30% “Caillottes” (little stones)) with limestone subsoil; vine age: 6 – 41 years; organically oriented, environmentally responsible viticulture; no chemical herbicides or anti-rot products; long, gentle pressing and cold stabilization; fermented 3 weeks in stainless steel, temperature-controlled tanks; aged on fine lees; fined with bentonite and cellulose filtered before bottling in Spring.
- 100% Sauvignon Blanc grapes
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- Total Acidity: 3.44 g/l
- Residual Sugar: 0.48 g/l
The refined, pure and precise 2020 Sancerre Blanc proves that a wine does not need to be full-bodied to pack concentration and intensity into its core. A lengthy period on lees has added flesh to the mid-palate, and a sinewy texture is drawn out on the medium-long finish. The 2020 is a serious Sancerre that makes you sit up and take notice. It hails from Sury-en-Vaux, in the north of the appellation, where the majority of growers send their fruit to négociants or cooperatives. This is one of a handful of excellent Sancerre producers showing that this is a village that deserves more attention. 2021 – 2027
|Proprietors||Rémy, Clément & Julien Raimbault|
|Annual Production||7,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|