Domaine du Pré Semelé
Domaine du Pré Semelé lies in a tiny valley a few miles northwest of the hilltop town of Sancerre. The estate is managed by the third generation of the family Raimbault, brothers Julien and Clément, vigneron and winemaker, respectively. They are guided by their father Rémy, who has worked their vineyards for decades with his brother Claude. This is another wonderful example of the younger generation taking over the reigns of a family estate and elevating it to a new higher level.
Vineyards on the clay-limestone slopes of Maimbray.
- Vineyard Area: 34.6 acres
- Soil: Calcareous clay, 70% “Terres Blanches” (white earth), 30% “Caillottes” (little stones) with limestone subsoil
- Vine Age: 8 – 43 years
- Planting Density: 2630 – 3240 vines/acre
- Organically oriented vineyard management
- Soils plowed, grass cover crops between rows
- No chemical herbicides, insecticides or anti-rot products
- Careful mechanical harvesting at peak ripeness
- 3.5 hour, gentle pressing, each lot vinified separately
- 48 hours cold stabilization at 46º F
- Fermented with neutral yeast for 3 weeks in temperature controlled stainless steel tanks at 59 – 64º F
- Aged on fine lees
- Fined with bentonite (natural clay)
- Cellulose filtered and bottled in Spring
Crisp, crunchy grapefruit and lime citrus flavors combine with a subtle herbaceous element that adds complexity. White-fleshed and citrus fruit notes lead to a long, mineral and saline finish. A harmonious, fresh cuvée to be savored.
Pair with seafood and grilled fish or as an aperitif.
100% Sauvignon Blanc, alcohol: 12.5%; soils: calcareous clay (70% “Terres Blanches (white earth), 30% “Caillottes” (little stones)) with limestone subsoil; vine age: 8 – 43 years; organically oriented, environmentally responsible viticulture; no chemical herbicides or anti-rot products; long, gentle pressing and cold stabilization; fermented 3 weeks in stainless steel, temperature-controlled tanks; aged on fine lees; fined with bentonite and cellulose filtered before bottling in Spring.
- 100% Sauvignon Blanc
- Alcohol: 13%
|Proprietors||Rémy, Clément & Julien Raimbault|
|Annual Production||7,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|