Domaine du Pré Semelé
Domaine du Pré Semelé lies in a tiny valley a few miles northwest of the hilltop town of Sancerre. The estate is managed by the third generation of the family Raimbault, brothers Julien and Clément, vigneron and winemaker, respectively. They are guided by their father Rémy, who has worked their vineyards for decades with his brother Claude. This is another wonderful example of the younger generation taking over the reigns of a family estate and elevating it to a new higher level.
- Vineyard Area: 3.4 ha
- Soil: Ferruginous (iron-rich) calcareous clay with limestone subsoil
- Vine Age: 12 – 42 years
- Vine Planting Density: 6,500 – 10,000 vines/ha
- Yield: 45 hl/ha
- Organically oriented vineyard management
- Soils plowed, grass cover crops between rows
- No chemical herbicides, insecticides or anti-rot products
- Hand harvested into 25kg crates
- No sulfites used in vinification
- Grapes destemmed before cold maceration
- Fermentation for 3 weeks with very little intervention
- Pressing, then blending of press and free-run juices before aging
- 70% of wine aged in 500L and 228L barrels, 30% aged in conical wooden vats (10% new oak) for 12 months
- Malolactic fermentation naturally occurs in the spring
Dark in color, this red Sancerre showcases an elegant, intense nose redolent of red raspberry and strawberry fruits. Rich on the palate with the support of well-integrated tannins.
Pair with grilled meats or cold cuts.
100% Pinot Noir; alcohol: 13%; ferruginous, calcareous clay soils with limestone subsoil; organically-oriented farming without herbicides or pesticides; vines between 12 – 42 years old; hand harvested; no sulfites used during vinification; 70% of wine aged in 500L and 228L barrels, 30% in conical wooden vats (10% new) for 12 months.
- 100% Pinot Noir
- Alcohol: 13%
|Proprietors||Rémy, Clément & Julien Raimbault|
|Annual Production||7,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|