Not long after purchasing vineyards in the late 1960s and releasing his first wines in the early 1970s Jacques Seysses became an international icon. Jacques respect for the terroir of the Côte d’Or is still on display in his viticultural practices and innovative winemaking methods. Dujac wines are more than just varietally correct – they are intimate travelogues of some of the most celebrated sites on earth. Sons Jeremy and Alec along with Jeremy’s wife, Diana, have been handed the reigns of this famous estate.
Grapes / Soils
|Pinot Noir||Clay & limestone||0.7 ha|
- Total Size: 12.22 ha (30.2 acres) Charms, 18.61 ha (46 acres) Mazoyères
- Winery Holdings: 0.7 ha (1.73 acres) includes: 0.31 ha (0.77 acre) Charms, 0.38 ha (0.96 acre) Mazoyères
- In the Gevrey-Chambertin appellation, laying down the hill and to the east of the Grand Crus Latricières-Chambertin, and Chambertin, and the Premier Cru Aux Combottes, are the vineyards of Charmes-Chambertin or Mazoyères-Chambertin. The wines from these adjoining vineyards can be labeled either Charmes-Chambertin or Mazoyères-Chambertin.
- Most producers use Charmes.
- It is one of 9 Grand Cru vineyards in the appellation.
- Only Pinot Noir is planted.
- Charme(s) is used to designate “vegetation plateau, fallow or uncultivated land”. At some time in the past, this Grand Cru climat sitting next to Chambertin was unplanted.
- The fruit for this wine comes from vineyard parcels that lie approximately 886 feet to 919 feet in elevation in Mazoyères-Chambertin and the upper portion of Charms.
- Grapes are sourced from two adjoining climats: Aux Charmes and Mazoyères ou Charmes.
- The vines have been organically farmed since 2001
- Made from Pinot Noir grapes.
- Grown on soils of Clay & limestone.
- Fermented in stainless steel tanks, using naturally occurring yeast.
- Aged in French barrique, 60-85% new.
- Aged for 18 months.
- Bottled unfined and unfiltered.
|Appellation(s)||Morey-St-Denis, + others in Côte de Nuits|
|Proprietors||Jacques and Rozalind Seysses|
|Annual Production||2,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable, organic, biodynamic|