Not long after purchasing vineyards in the late 1960s and releasing his first wines in the early 1970s Jacques Seysses became an international icon. Jacques respect for the terroir of the Côte d’Or is still on display in his viticultural practices and innovative winemaking methods. Dujac wines are more than just varietally correct – they are intimate travelogues of some of the most celebrated sites on earth. Sons Jeremy and Alec along with Jeremy’s wife, Diana, have been handed the reigns of this famous estate.
Grapes / Soils
|Pinot Noir||Clay & limestone||1.95 ha|
- Total Vineyards: 16.91 ha (41.8 acres)
- Winery Holdings: 1.46 ha (3.63 acres)
- In the Morey-Saint-Denis appellation, Clos de la Roche sits at the northern end of Morey-Saint-Denis touching the line with Gevrey-Chambertin.
- Clos de la Roche vineyard is split above and below the 919 foot elevation line and above the Route des Grands Crus. It is divided among eight climats: Les Genavrières 0.89 ha (2.2 acres); Monts Luisants* 3.72 ha (9.2 acres); Clos de la Roche* 4.53 ha (11.2 acres); Les Mochamps 2.54 ha (6.3 acres); Les Froichots* 0.64 ha (1.6 acres); Les Fremières* 2.26 ha (5.6 acres); Les Chabiots* 2.14 ha (5.3 acres); and Les Chaffots 0.06 ha (0.17 acres).
- It is one of 5 Grand Cru vineyards in the appellation.
- Only Pinot Noir is planted.
- Roche “rock” named for the presence of rocks that show on the surface of this soil.
* denotes the five climats in which Dujac owns vines. The vines have been organically farmed since 2001. A very long-lived wine, this wine comes into its own demonstrating its character after at least ten years of bottle aging.
- Made from Pinot Noir grapes.
- Grown on soils of Clay & limestone.
- Fermented in stainless steel tanks, using naturally occurring yeast.
- Aged in French barrique, 60-85% new.
- Aged for 18 months.
- Bottled unfined and unfiltered.
|Appellation(s)||Morey-St-Denis, + others in Côte de Nuits|
|Proprietors||Jacques and Rozalind Seysses|
|Annual Production||2,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable, organic, biodynamic|