Not long after purchasing vineyards in the late 1960s and releasing his first wines in the early 1970s Jacques Seysses became an international icon. Jacques respect for the terroir of the Côte d’Or is still on display in his viticultural practices and innovative winemaking methods. Dujac wines are more than just varietally correct – they are intimate travelogues of some of the most celebrated sites on earth. Sons Jeremy and Alec along with Jeremy’s wife, Diana, have been handed the reigns of this famous estate.
Grapes / Soils
|Pinot Noir||Clay & limestone||1.46 ha|
- Total Vineyards: 6.63 ha (16.4 acres)
- Winery Holdings: 1.46 ha (3.63 acres)
- In the Morey-Saint-Denis appellation, Clos Saint-Denis is sandwiched between Clos de la Roche to the north and Clos des Lambrays to the south.
- The Clos Saint-Denis vineyard is divided among four Lieux-dits: Clos Saint Denis 2.18 ha (5.4 acres); Calouere 1.29 ha (3.2 acres); Les Chaffots 1.33 ha (3.3 acres) and Maison Brulee 1.82 ha (4.5 acres) and is centered at about 951 feet in elevation. It is one of 5 Grand Cru vineyards in the appellation. Only Pinot Noir is planted.
- Around 1015, Lord Humbert de Vergy, a rich landowner, took holy orders and later became the Bishop of Paris. In 1023, he founded a Canons Chapter in his castle in Vergy where he had a little church built in honor of Saint Denis, the first bishop of Paris. In 1609, the Canons were granted by Nuits-Saint-Georges to build constructions in the surroundings of the Notre-Dame Chapel. They constructed Clos Saint-Denis.
- The vines have been organically farmed since 2001. Upon opening, this wine is characterized by lavish fruit but has the capability of aging quite well.
- Made from Pinot Noir grapes.
- Grown on soils of Clay & limestone.
- Fermented in stainless steel tanks, using naturally occurring yeast.
- Aged in French barrique, 60-85% new.
- Aged for 18 months.
- Bottled unfined and unfiltered.
|Appellation(s)||Morey-St-Denis, + others in Côte de Nuits|
|Proprietors||Jacques and Rozalind Seysses|
|Annual Production||2,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable, organic, biodynamic|