Pascal Roblet can trace his roots in Volnay to the 1600’s on his mother’s side and four generations on his father’s side. All of Domaine Roblet-Monnot’s holdings are in Volnay, 15 acres. Pascal’s conversion to biodynamic viticulture in 1997 along with his high density planting, 4850 vines per acre and very low yields, roughly 2.5 tons per acre, are part of what has transformed his domaine into one of the leading sources of wine from these communes.
Grapes / Soils
- Total Vineyards: 5.62 ha (13.9 acres)
- Winery Holdings: 0.36 ha (0.9 acre)
- Les Brouillards is located adjacent and just below highway D 973 at about 836 feet in elevation on mostly limestone soils. It is bounded to the south by Les Mitans and above by Pointes d’Angeles vineyards.
- Only Pinot Noir is planted.
- Brouillards originates from ancient French Breuil from Latin Brogilus from Gallic Brogilos “small territory” then “thicket wood, young wood”. At one time this land surely was wooded.
- 100% Pinot Noir
- 100% destemmed prior to fermentation
- Aging: 24 months in oak barrels
- Case Production: 100
- Pascal’s red wines see no fining or filtration. He rarely uses pigeage, punching down of the cap, one or two times per vintage.
- Pascal prefers creating an infusion of flavor from the fruit rather than an extraction of flavor.
- He prefers long maturation in barrel, so that the wines are more stable before bottling and naturally clarified.
- Pascal does not use sulfites on his reds. When he does use sulfur it is a mere 40 mgrams or less of total sulfites just before racking and bottling.
The 2015 Volnay Brouillards 1er Cru has a well defined blackberry and raspberry scented bouquet with good extraction – there is real juiciness to these aromatics. The palate has a sweet entry that might have been cloying, but there is superb acidity and it musters more reserve towards the saline, almost Pommard-like finish. Good potential, but it needs time.
|Appellation(s)||Volnay, Corton + others|
|Annual Production||1,400 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Biodynamic|