Pascal Roblet can trace his roots in Volnay to the 1600,s on his mother’s side and four generations on his father’s side. All of Domaine Roblet-Monnot’s holdings are in Volnay, 6 hectares. Pascal’s conversion to bio-dynamic viticulture in 1997 along with his high density planting, 12,000 vines per hectare, and very low yields, 30-35 hectoliters per hectare, are part of what has transformed his domaine into one of the leading sources of wine from these communes.
Roblet-Monnot’s plot of Volnay, roughly 10M north of the wall of Clos de Ducs.
- Area: 0.06 ha
- Soils: Clay
- Vines Planted: 2/3 in 1931, 1/3 in 2013
- Vine Training System” Guyot-Poussard
- Yields: 35 hl/ha
- Fermented in stainless steel tanks
- Pascal’s red wines see no fining or filtration
- Rare use of pigage, punching down of the cap, 1 -2 times per vintage
- No sulfites used in red wine production
- Pascal prefers creating an infusion of flavor from the fruit rather than an extraction of flavor
- Aged 20 months in 1st pass French oak barrels
- Long maturation in barrel, so the wines are more stable before bottling and naturally clarified
- If at all, less than 40 micrograms or less of total sulfites used just before racking and bottling
Since 2016 this has been made as a wine rather than blended.The 2017 Volnay Pitures Desses is all full cluster pressed, just thirty metres from the top part of the Clos des Ducs. Only 1 barrel produced.
Ooh – what a nose – and these wines are so cold too! Vibrant, expressive depth of beautifully pure fruit – yes! Full, no gas, layers of concentration, weight in the mid and finish – big, concentrated wine. Less energetic more contemplative, but such a weight of practically mineral flavour on the finish. Great, but like the Taillepieds, be patient!
Made from 100% Pinot Noir; grown on clay soils; fermented in stainless steel tanks; aged 20 months in 1st pass French oak barrels; only 1 barrel of wine produced.
- 100% Pinot Noir grapes
- Case production: 25
|Appellation(s)||Volnay, Corton + others|
|Annual Production||1,400 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Biodynamic|