Pascal Roblet can trace his roots in Volnay to the 1600’s on his mother’s side and four generations on his father’s side. All of Domaine Roblet-Monnot’s holdings are in Volnay, 15 acres. Pascal’s conversion to biodynamic viticulture in 1997 along with his high density planting, 4850 vines per acre and very low yields, roughly 2.5 tons per acre, are part of what has transformed his domaine into one of the leading sources of wine from these communes.
Roblet-Monnot’s plot of Volnay, roughly 10M north of the wall of Clos de Ducs.
- Area: 0.06 ha
- Soils: Clay
- Vines Planted: 2/3 in 1931, 1/3 in 2013
- Vine Training System” Guyot-Poussard
- Yields: 35 hl/ha
- Fermented in stainless steel tanks
- Pascal’s red wines see no fining or filtration
- Rare use of pigage, punching down of the cap, 1 -2 times per vintage
- No sulfites used in red wine production
- Pascal prefers creating an infusion of flavor from the fruit rather than an extraction of flavor
- Aged 20 months in 1st pass French oak barrels
- Long maturation in barrel, so the wines are more stable before bottling and naturally clarified
- If at all, less than 40 micrograms or less of total sulfites used just before racking and bottling
Since 2016 this has been made as a wine rather than blended.The 2017 Volnay Pitures Desses is all full cluster pressed, just thirty metres from the top part of the Clos des Ducs. Only 1 barrel produced.
Ooh – what a nose – and these wines are so cold too! Vibrant, expressive depth of beautifully pure fruit – yes! Full, no gas, layers of concentration, weight in the mid and finish – big, concentrated wine. Less energetic more contemplative, but such a weight of practically mineral flavour on the finish. Great, but like the Taillepieds, be patient!
Made from 100% Pinot Noir; grown on clay soils; fermented in stainless steel tanks; aged 20 months in 1st pass French oak barrels; only 1 barrel of wine produced.
- 100% Pinot Noir grapes
- Case production: 25
|Appellation(s)||Volnay, Corton + others|
|Annual Production||1,400 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Biodynamic|