Pascal Roblet can trace his roots in Volnay to the 1600,s on his mother’s side and four generations on his father’s side. All of Domaine Roblet-Monnot’s holdings are in Volnay, 6 hectares. Pascal’s conversion to bio-dynamic viticulture in 1997 along with his high density planting, 12,000 vines per hectare, and very low yields, 30-35 hectoliters per hectare, are part of what has transformed his domaine into one of the leading sources of wine from these communes.
Grapes / Soils
- Winery Holdings: 1.19 ha (2.96 acres)
- St. François is a proprietary name. Pascal Roblet’s father was named François.
- Volnay lies between Pommard to the north, Monthélie to the west and Meursault to the south. There are no Grand Cru vineyards. There are 28 Premier Cru Climats and 30 AOC Lieux-dits.Only Pinot Noir is planted.
- Only Pinot Noir is planted.
- Volnay St. François is not a premier cru wine, but some juice is sourced from 1er Cru vineyards: Robardelle and Mitans.
- 100% Pinot Noir
- 100% destemmed prior to fermentation.
- Aging: 24 months, more or less
- Case Production: 500
- Pascal’s red wines see no fining or filtration. He rarely uses pigeage, punching down of the cap, one or two times per vintage. Pascal prefers creating an infusion of flavor from the fruit rather than an extraction of flavor.
- He prefers long maturation in barrel, so that the wines are more stable before bottling and naturally clarified.
- Pascal does not use sulfites on his reds. When he does use sulfur it is a mere 40 mgrams or less of total sulfites just before racking and bottling.
The 2015 Volnay Saint-François is a blend of several parcels that include Premier Crus, aged in 15% new oak. It has a dark cherry and raspberry scented bouquet, a little confectionary shop in style. The palate has plenty of sappy red fruit with hints of spice and oregano, quite structured on the finish and perhaps the Premier Cru fruit lending more weight than expected. This is thoroughly enjoyable.
Bright, confident crimson. Complex nose of macerated cherries and no excess tannins. Really gorgeous for drinking already. Log and vibrant, I’m sure it will age well but it’s already so welcoming! Just the job for satisfying delivery today. 2018 – 2028
|Appellation(s)||Volnay, Corton + others|
|Annual Production||1,400 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Biodynamic|