Huguet de Can Feixes
The historic Can Feixes Estate is situated on gravely slopes nestled over 1400 feet above sea level in an incomparable setting on the slopes of the famous Montserrat pinnacle, which forms Penedès northern boundary in the Upper Penedès wine region of Barcelona. Can Feixes forms an ecological environment where different crops and varied vegetation interact in perfect symbiosis between the cultivated and wildlands, reflecting the best expression of biodiversity in agriculture. For the Huguet family, respect and protection of the environment are considered integral elements of quality wines.
These are the farthest Penedès vineyards from the Mediterranean with, at times, extreme continental temperature variation. The drier climate is conducive to grape health. The altitude and mountain terrain constitute the tiny viticultural home of the Parellada variety, locally known as Montonec (“grape of the mountain”). The soil is chalk, clay and quite rocky with a capacity to retain water. The combination of climate and soil result in lower yields and grapes of exceptional quality. Recognized as one of the region’s Corpinnat vineyards, Can Feixes retains only the most exceptional grapes, and subsequently the very best wines for production under the family label.
“Finca Can Feixes” is a single estate vineyard in the foothills of an interior mountain range of the “Penedes Superior” region of Catalonia.
- Altitude: 1400+ feet – highest vineyard in the region
- Soil: Limestone and gravel
- Vine Age: 50+ years
- Grapes organically farmed, certified by CCAPE (Consell Català de la Producció Agrària Ecològica)
- Light rainfall in winter and spring but unusually wet summer, particularly in July 2014
- Exceptionally low temperatures slowed grape maturation and lowered yields
- Hand harvested with strict berry selection in the vineyard and at winery
- First run must from whole clusters separated by pneumatic press, clarified by static settling and decanting
- Fermentation at controlled temperatures in stainless steel tanks
- Aged 6 months in stainless tanks, minimum 7 years in bottle
- No dosage
A white “Traditional Method” sparkling wine with a long period of maturation under the strict regulations of the “Corpinnat” brand. Vinified with rigorously selected grape varieties grown exclusively at the Can Feixes Estate and exquisitely elaborated to highlight the singular finesse and elegance that the great sparkling wines of “Can Feixes” develop following years of maturation in the bottle.
60% Parellada, 25% Macabeo, 20% Pinot Noir; alcohol: 12%; highest vineyards in Alt Pènedes at over 1400 feet; 50+ year old vines planted in limestone and gravel soils; berries hand selected both in vineyard and at sorting table; whole cluster pnuematic press; fermented and aged 6 months in stainless steel tanks; no dosage; aged minimum 7 years in bottle, certified Organic grapes.
- 60% Parellada, 25% Macabeo and 15% Pinot Noir
- Alcohol: 12%
- Total Acidity: 6.1 g/l
- pH: 3.01
- Residual Sugar: 1.2 g/l
- Total SO2: 83 mg/l
|PROPRIETORS||Founded by Don Jaime Feixes, acquired by the Huguet family in 1945|
|FOUNDED||1768 with continuous production since 1690|
|WINEMAKER||Josep Maria Huguet|
|ANNUAL PRODUCTION||6,000 9L cases|
|FARMING (SUSTAINABLE, ORGANIC, BIODYNAMIC)||100% organic – CCPAE (Consell Català de la Producció Agrària Ecològica), sustainable aglriculture, 100% estate grown. One of 9 members of Corpinnat “born in the heart of the Penedes.”|