For more than 400 years, Jean-Baptiste Adam and his family have been grape growers and winemakers in Ammerschwihr. Throughout the centuries the Adam family has farmed vineyards, made wine, sold wine locally and sold wine in foreign lands. They survived the Thirty Years War (1618-1648), the Valois and Bourbon dynasties, the French Revolution, the Napoleonic wars, annexation by Germany and back to France, WWI, WWII, famine and disease.
Jean-Batiste V joined the winery in 1982, at the age of 21, after finishing his studies of wine, enology, and marketing. In 1996, Jean-Baptiste took over full management of the property from his father, Jean-Marie. Soon after taking charge of the company, he modernized the winery and created a processing and storage facility for the production of Crémant. In 2003, he converted the vineyards to biodynamic agriculture wholeheartedly. Today, he is considered a leader of biodynamic farming practices in Alsace.
Jean-Baptiste’s daughter, Laure, is the 15th generation to work in the family business. Armed with a BS in Viticulture and Enology, a Wine and Commerce license, and a master’s degree in Wine Management & Marketing, she is an integral part of the business.
Jean-Baptiste Adam produces wines of elegance, balance, minerality and longevity.
Grapes / Soils
|Pinot Gris||Planted 1975 – 2010||Chalk, clay and granite||9 acres|
Reserve wines are made after a rigorous selection of the grapes produced on the hills of Ammerschwihr and the surrounding village. Patiently matured in our storage cellars, they express with finesse the singular fruit of each of the Alsatian grape varieties.With a good length in the mouth, these are gastronomic wines selected for their personality.
- Size of vineyard: 9 acres
- Soil composition: Chalk, clay and granite
- Training method: Double Guyot
- Elevation: 656 ft.
- Exposure: Southeast
- Year planted: From 1975 to 2010
- Hand-picked grapes
- Gentle pressing of the whole grapes in pneumatic press tank
- Settling down by gravity and vinification in stainless steel vats
- On the nose, the wine displays lovely fruity notes like peach and hints of the typical grilled and smoked aromas which come from the grape variety
- In the mouth, the opening is rich and smooth, completed by a beautiful freshness
- Fruity and complex and crisp, wonderfully balanced wine is a great gastronomy offering
- This Pinot Gris will make a perfect companion for aperitif and will perfectly match with terrines, white meat, poultry and cheese
- It can be enjoyed right away, but can also benefit from bottle aging over the next 4 to 5 years
- Made from Pinot Gris grapes.
- Vine age – planted 1975 – 2010.
- Grown on soils of chalk, clay and granite.
- Fermented in stainless steel tanks for 1-3 months at 68°F to 76°F.
- Aged in stainless steel tanks for 3 months.
- Varietal: 100% Pinot Gris
- Alcohol: 12.21%
- Residual Sugar: 11.49 g/l
- Acidity: 3.16 g/L
|Appellation(s)||AOP ALSACE – AOP CREMANT D’ALSACE- AOP ALSACE GRAND CRU -AOP VENDANDES TARDIVES- AOP SELECTION DE GRAINS NOBLES|
|Proprietors||Jean-Baptiste Adam, Laure Adam|
|Winemaker||Mathilde Jaegler and Philippe Ruhlmann|
|Annual Production||50,000 to 66,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Certified Biodynamic DEMETER since 2007, Certified Organic by EcoCert France|