The Gouron family has been producing wine for five generations at their estate in Cravant-les-Côteaux just east of the village of Chinon. Laurent and Stéphane Gouron tend the 72 acre La Varenne estate which is surrounded by forests. All of their vineyards are located within the Appellation of Chinon.
Grapes / Soils
|Cabernet Franc||Planted 1980 – 1995||Gravelly-sandy & sandy-limestone|
- Throughout the year, great care is taken of the vines to obtain the best maturity and naturally low yields.
- Cover crops between the rows, very short pruning and reduced foliage all combine to keep the vines and grapes in excellent health.
- Vineyard: 28 ha (69.18 acres); 4 ha (9.88 acres) devoted to Cuvee Tradition.
Number of bottles produced: 12,000
- Made from Cabernet Franc grapes.
- Vine age – planted 1980 – 1995.
- Grown on soils of Gravelly-sandy & sandy-limestone.
- Fermented in thermo-controlled stainless steel tanks.
- Aged in thermo-regulated stainless steel tanks.
- 100% de-stemmed
- Aged in temperature controlled Stainless Steel tanks
- Varietal composition: 100% Cabernet Franc
- Alcohol: 13.0%
This breezes along, with red currant and bitter cherry fruit flavors flecked with savory and bay leaf hints. The bright finish has a chalky minerality. Good energy lends the finish sneaky length. Drink now through 2022.
From “Smart Buys” “Ultimate Guide to Value” issue
|Proprietors||Laurent & and Stéphane Gouron|
|Annual Production||5,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|