The Gouron family has been producing wine for five generations at their estate in Cravant-les-Côteaux just east of the village of Chinon. Laurent and Stéphane Gouron tend the 72 acre La Varenne estate which is surrounded by forests. All of their vineyards are located within the Appellation of Chinon.
Grapes / Soils
|Cabernet Franc||Planted 1980 – 1995||Gravelly-sandy & sandy-limestone||N/A|
The GOURON family has been producing wine for three generations. La VARENNE is entirely located within the Chinon Appellation d’ Origine Protégée and more precisely in Cravant les Coteaux, cradle of the best Chinon wines and famous estates.
- Total Vineyard: 69.18 acres
- 6.18 acres from few plots within “La Perriere” devoted to Rosé
Throughout the year, great care is taken of the vines to get the best maturity and natural lower yields. To reach the desired concentration and expression from their Cabernet Franc, the Gouron family utilizes green-covering in each row, very short pruning and reduced foliage. Each parcel is harvested and vinified separately in order to keep and reveal the expression of each terrior. The gravelly-sandy on the plain, the sandy-limestone slopes and the silex-flinty hilltops soil.
- Direct & soft 2 hours long pneumatic pressing
- Fermenting in thermo-controlled tanks
La Varenne is providing wines of an incredible constancy, ripe and smooth, showing aromas we nearly forgot from Cabernet Franc! Goes without saying that La Varenne Rosé, coming from utmost ripeness are pure gems, with fresh and soft tannins. Done with soft but rather long pneumatic pressing for nearly 2 hours and get the best finesse, followed by a rather low controlled fermenting temperature – not exceeding 18 degrees C – to get the best fruitiness extraction.
- Probably their best Rosé ever; irresistible, fresh and “gourmand” nose of raspberries, strawberries and fresh peaches.
- Crunchy palate of same fruits dominance and soft spice hints, so long and keeping the peach notes
- Pair with roasted turkey with sage, thyme and butter with lemon zest.
- Vine age – 30 year old average
- Grown on soils of Gravelly-sandy & sandy-limestone.
- Fermented in thermo-controlled stainless steel tanks.
- Aged in thermo-regulated stainless steel tanks.
- Varietal: 100% Cabernet Franc
- Alcohol: 12.5%
|Proprietors||Laurent & and Stéphane Gouron|
|Annual Production||5,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|