The Gouron family has been producing wine for five generations at their estate in Cravant-les-Côteaux just east of the village of Chinon. Laurent and Stéphane Gouron tend the 72 acre La Varenne estate which is surrounded by forests. All of their vineyards are located within the Appellation of Chinon.
Grapes / Soils
|Cabernet Franc||Planted 1980 – 1995||Gravelly-sandy & sandy-limestone|
• Throughout the year, great care is taken of the vines to obtain the best maturity and naturally low yields.
• Cover crops between the rows, very short pruning and reduced foliage all combine to keep the vines and grapes in excellent health.
• Vineyard: 28 ha (69.18 acres); 4 ha (9.88 acres) devoted to Cuvee Tradition.
Number of bottles produced: 12,000
• Made from Cabernet Franc grapes.
• Vine age – planted 1980 – 1995.
• Grown on soils of Gravelly-sandy & sandy-limestone.
• Fermented in thermo-controlled stainless steel tanks.
• Aged in thermo-regulated stainless steel tanks.
• 100% de-stemmed
• Aged in temperature controlled Stainless Steel tanks
• Varietal composition: 100% Cabernet Franc
• Alcohol: 13.0%
Fresh and pure, with charming cherry and pomegranate fruit lined with subtle violet, rose and white pepper hints. Light chalky minerality and a flash of bay leaf hold the finish. Drink now through 2020.
|Proprietors||Laurent & and Stéphane Gouron|
|Annual Production||5,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|