The Gouron family has been producing wine for five generations at their estate in Cravant-les-Côteaux just east of the village of Chinon. Laurent and Stéphane Gouron tend the 72 acre La Varenne estate which is surrounded by forests. All of their vineyards are located within the Appellation of Chinon.
Vineyards in Cravant les Côteaux, Chinon A.O.P.
- Tradition Vineyard Area: 37 acres (15 hectares) devoted to Cuvee Tradition
- 6 lieux-dits: La Varenne, Les Folies, Doulais, Le Puy, l’Olive & Les Rosiers
- Soils: Gravelly-sandy on the plain, sandy-limestone slopes, silex-flinty on hilltops
- Vine Age: 35 – 40 years
- Sustainable Agriculture Practices: Green cover grown between rows, very short pruning and leaf thinning to optimize grape health and terrior expression
- Harvested September 28 – 30, 2020
- Each parcel harvested and vinified separately to preserve its unique characteristics
- Grapes are destemmed before pressing
- Fermented and aged in temperature controlled stainless steel tanks in hillside caves
- Bottled unfined and unfiltered
- Bottle aged in caves for a few months
Gourmand & fleshy nose revealing the perfect ripeness of this superb vintage. Fresh, juicy & delightful palate, with a rich texture & length already revealing the soft leather, black fruits & raciness of the tannins.
Pair with roasted chicken thighs, French onion soup and simply, daily by itself!
100% Cabernet Franc; alcohol: 14%; 6 plots from vineyards near Cravant Les Côteaux, Chinon; gravel and sandy soils; 35 – 40 year old vines; sustainable agriculture to optimize grape health; harvested September 28 – 30, 2020; each plot vinified separately; fermented and aged in temperature controlled stainless steel tanks; bottled unfined and unfiltered.
- 100% Cabernet Franc
- Alcohol: 14%
|Proprietors||Laurent & and Stéphane Gouron|
|Annual Production||5,000 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Sustainable|