Francesco Bellocchio took over vineyard land his grandfather, Fausto Coppi, had owned in the Colli Tortonesi region of Piedmont. Personal drive runs in the family. Grandfather Fausto was one of Italy’s most famous cyclists. Francesco is driven to make the very best wines from local varieties at the winery named after Fausto’s daughter and Francesco’s mother, Marina Coppi.
Grapes / Soils
|Barbera||Planted 2003||Marl of Sant’Agata argillous/calcarous||0.6 ha|
- The vineyards are situated mid-slope at 400 metres (1,312 ft) in a sheltered position which is protected from the cold northerly winds and therefore, benefit from an ideal micro-climate. There are marked diurnal temperature differences, as well as distinct seasonal differences, and one of the lowest rainfalls in Piedmont.
- The soil comprises clay, limestone and sandy deposits and is grey/light blue in color, called Marne di SantAgata (Marl of Sant’Agata).
- It is made up of 30% sand, 55% clay and 15% limestone.
- This was the first wine produced by the winery in 2005 and is named after the village where Vigne Marina Coppi is based.
- Harvest time: mid September
- First vintage of this wine: 2005
- Number bottles produced of this wine: 6,700
- The grapes were hand-harvested into 18-20kg crates.
- After crushing, fermentation took place in temperature-controlled (77-81°F) stainless steel tanks with maceration lasting approximately 10 days.
- Remontage and punching down took place, and after an initial racking the wine underwent malolactic fermentation.
- The wine was aged for 10 months in stainless steel tanks before bottling, where it remained for a minimum of 6 months before release.
- Made from Barbera grapes.
- Fermented in temperature-controlled (77-81°F) stainless steel tanks.
- Aged in stainless steel tanks and the bottle.
- Aged for 10 months in the stainless steel tanks and a minimum of 6 months in the bottle.
- Varietal composition: 100% Barbera
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- pH level: 3.45
- Residual sugar (grams/liter): 2.5
- Acidity (grams/liter): 5.6
- Dry extract (grams/liter): 31.9
|Appellation(s)||DOC Colli Tortonesi|
|Annual Production||25,000 bottles|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Organic, not certified|