Francesco Bellocchio took over vineyard land his grandfather, Fausto Coppi, had owned in the Colli Tortonesi region of Piedmont. Personal drive runs in the family. Grandfather Fausto was one of Italy’s most famous cyclists. Francesco is driven to make the very best wines from local varieties at the winery named after Fausto’s daughter and Francesco’s mother, Marina Coppi.
Grapes / Soils
|Favorita (Vermentino)||Planted 1947, 2003||Marl of Sant’Agata argillous/calcarous||0.8 ha|
- This wine is dedicated to the two Marinas in the family: Marina Coppi, Francesco’s mother, and the grandmother of Marina Bellocchio, Francesco’s daughter, who was born on the eve of the first harvest.
- The grapes come from the nearby “Gabetto” vineyard and an old vineyard in the Madonna locality which is in the nearby village of Carezzano in the Colli Tortonesi.
- There are marked diurnal temperature differences, as well as distinct seasonal differences, and one of the lowest rainfalls in Piedmont.
- Favorita was probably brought to Piedmont from Liguria, where it is known as Vermentino.
- After crushing, the must is cooled.
- Alcoholic fermentation took place slowly at apporximately temperature of 59°F. After fermentation, the wine was transferred to tank without undergoing malolactic fermentation.
- The wine matured for six months on its own sediment in steel refrigerated tanks.
- Manual “batonnage” took place giving the wine body an attractive bouquet.
- Bottling took place April, after which the wine is aged for a further 3 months before release.
- In order to increase the sugar and aromatic concentration, harvesting takes place around ten days after the grape has reached its maximum ripeness when the grapes are slightly over-ripe (late-harvesting).
- The grapes are hand-picked, in crates, during the cooler early morning hours to help preserve aromatic compounds of the grapes.
- Harvest time: mid September
- First vintage of this wine: 2006
- Number bottles produced of this wine: 4,000
- Made from Favorita (Vermentino) grapes.
- Fermented in stainless steel tanks.
- Aged in steel refrigerated tanks and the bottle.
- Aged for 6 months in the steel tanks and a further 3 months in the bottle.
- Varietal composition: 100% Favorita (Vermentino)
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- pH level: 3.28
- Residual sugar (grams/liter): 3.5
- Acidity (grams/liter): 6.1
- Dry extract (grams/liter): 21.2
|Appellation(s)||DOC Colli Tortonesi|
|Annual Production||25,000 bottles|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Organic, not certified|