Francesco Bellocchio took over vineyard land his grandfather, Fausto Coppi, had owned in the Colli Tortonesi region of Piedmont. Personal drive runs in the family. Grandfather Fausto was one of Italy’s most famous cyclists. Francesco is driven to make the very best wines from local varieties at the winery named after Fausto’s daughter and Francesco’s mother, Marina Coppi.
Grapes / Soils
|90% Barbera, 10% Croatina||Planted 2003||Marl of Sant’Agata argillous/calcarous||1 ha|
- The vineyards are situated mid-slope at 400m (1,312 ft) above sea level, in a sheltered position protected from the cold northerly winds thus benefiting from an ideal micro-climate.
- There is marked diurnal temperature variation, as well as distinct seasonal differences, and one of the lowest levels of rainfall in Piedmont.
- The soil, known as Marne di Sant’Agata (Marl of Sant’Agata), is made up of 30% sand, 55% clay and 15% limestone and is grey/light blue in color.
- Harvest time: mid September
- First vintage of this wine: 2006
- Number bottles produced of this wine: 6,700
- The grapes were hand-harvested into 20 kilo crates.
- After crushing, fermentation took place in temperature-controlled (77-81°F) stainless steel tanks with maceration lasting approximately 10 days.
- Remontage and punching down took place, and after an initial racking, the wine underwent malolactic fermentation.
- The wine was aged for nine months in stainless steel before bottling, where it remained for a further three months before release.
- Made from 90% Barbera, 10% Croatina grapes.
- Fermented in stainless steel refrigerated tanks at a controlled temperature of 77-81°F.
- Aged in steel tanks and the bottle.
- Aged for 9 months in the steel tanks and a minimum of 3 months in the bottle.
- Varietal composition: 90% Barbera, 10% Croatina
- Alcohol: 13.0%
- pH level: 3.4
- Residual sugar (grams/liter): 3.8
- Acidity (grams/liter): 5.8
- Dry extract (grams/liter): 29.5
|Appellation(s)||DOC Colli Tortonesi|
|Annual Production||25,000 bottles|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Organic, not certified|