Francesco Bellocchio took over vineyard land his grandfather, Fausto Coppi, had owned in the Colli Tortonesi region of Piedmont. Personal drive runs in the family. Grandfather Fausto was one of Italy’s most famous cyclists. Francesco is driven to make the very best wines from local varieties at the winery named after Fausto’s daughter and Francesco’s mother, Marina Coppi.
Grapes / Soils
|Timorasso||Planted 2003, 2006||Marl of Sant’Agata argillous/calcarous||1.6 ha|
- Area of production: the grapes come from the Gabetto vineyard and the Montagnina which has been partially re-planted and has an incline of almost 35%.
- The characteristics of this cru vineyard, which is rich in limestone bring about its elegance, flavor and body.
- Marina Coppi’s first vintage of Fausto Timorasso was 2007.
- Harvesting: after awaiting the proper ripeness of the grapes they are then hand-picked in crates in the early morning hours so as to preserve the diversity of their aroma.
- Vinification tecniques: soft processing of the whole grapes and then partial coldstraining of the must; alcoholic fermentation takes place slowly at the temperature of approximately 59°F.
- After the completion of fermentation, the wine is transferred and does not undergo further fermentation.
- Refinement: the wine matures for approximately eight months in refrigerated steel tanks where it becomes enriched with bouquet and body thanks to manual “batonnage.”
- Bottled in the month of July it continues its refinement for a further six months.
- Colour: intensely straw yellow and bright.
- Bouquet: pronounced mineral content, complex with hints of acacia, white flowers and citrus.
- Palate: brackish, warmth and freshness. Full bodied with a persistent aftertaste.
- Best served with: cheese risottos, white truffles, shellfish and fish dishes.
- Made from Timorasso grapes.
- Fermented in stainless steel tanks at 59°F.
- Aged in refrigerated steel tanks.
- Aged for approximately 8 months.
Grapes: Uniquely Timorasso
|Appellation(s)||DOC Colli Tortonesi|
|Annual Production||25,000 bottles|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Organic, not certified|