Francesco Bellocchio took over vineyard land his grandfather, Fausto Coppi, had owned in the Colli Tortonesi region of Piedmont. Personal drive runs in the family. Grandfather Fausto was one of Italy’s most famous cyclists. Francesco is driven to make the very best wines from local varieties at the winery named after Fausto’s daughter and Francesco’s mother, Marina Coppi.
Grapes / Soils
|90% Barbera, 10% Croatina||Planted 2003||Marl of Sant’Agata argillous/calcarous||1 ha|
- Harvesting: after awaiting the proper degree of ripeness, the grapes are then handpicked in 18/20 kg crates.
- Vinification technique: after crushing and stalk-removing, fermentation takes place in steel refrigerated tanks at a controlled temperature of 77-81°F and the maceration of approximately ten days comprises the repassing of the must over the grape-dregs and pressing, after the drawing off of the wine and the first decanting the wine continues its malolactic fermentation for a minimum of three months.
- The wine matures for approximately 9 months in steel tanks and a further refinement follows in the bottle for a mininum of three months.
- Colour: intense and vivacious ruby-red.
- Bouquet: good intensity with traces of cherry and wild strawberries.
- Palate: full, satisfying and fresh.
- Best when served with: white and red meats, elaborate fish dishes, fresh cheese. Ideal with agnolotti and raw salame.
- Made from 90% Barbera, 10% Croatina grapes.
- Fermented in stainless steel refrigerated tanks at a controlled temperature of 77-81°F.
- Aged in steel tanks and the bottle.
- Aged for 9 months in the steel tanks and a minimum of 3 months in the bottle.
- Grapes: 90% Barbera, 10% Croatina.
- Best served: at 64°F.
Plum, blackberry and earth aromas and flavors highlight this rich, juicy red. Vibrant acidity and a firm underpinning of tannins keep the flavors pumping on the long finish. Barbera. Dink now through 2020.
From “Smart Buys” “Ultimate Guide to Value” issue
|Appellation(s)||DOC Colli Tortonesi|
|Annual Production||25,000 bottles|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Organic, not certified|