Francesco Bellocchio took over vineyard land his grandfather, Fausto Coppi, had owned in the Colli Tortonesi region of Piedmont. Personal drive runs in the family. Grandfather Fausto was one of Italy’s most famous cyclists. Francesco is driven to make the very best wines from local varieties at the winery named after Fausto’s daughter and Francesco’s mother, Marina Coppi.
Grapes / Soils
|Barbera||Planted 2003||Marl of Sant’Agata argillous/calcarous||0.4 ha|
The vineyard’s name, I Grop, in our local dialect refers to those calcareous and fossil-rich boulders which characterise this area of the vineyards that gives us these grapes.
Area of production: the grapes come exclusively from our own vineyard called I Grop in Castellania at 400 mt above sea-level. The pedological characteristics of this Cru vineyard endow this
wine with particular notes of elegance and body.
Harvesting: after awaiting the optimal ripeness of the grapes, these are then hand-picked in 18/20 kg crates.
Vinification tecniques: after the pressing and stalk-removing fermentation takes place in steel refrigerated tanks and maceration for roughly twenty days with the repassing of the grapes over their dregs and pressing. After drawing off the wine and its first decanting the wine is transferred into traditional twelve hl barriques where the malolactic fermentation takes place.
Refinement: the wine matures for ten months in steel tanks and then continues its maturation in bottles for a further period of six months.
- Color: intense ruby-red.
- Bouquet: fine and intense: the wine has traces of plum, pomegranate, sweet spices and a vanilla aftertaste.
- Best served: 18° C in capacious crystal goblets.
- Best served with: red and white meats, mushrooms, stuffed pasta, and the other traditional Piedmontese first courses as well as seasoned cheese.
- Made from Barbera grapes.
- Fermented in stainless steel refrigerated tanks.
- Aged in 12 hl barriques and the bottle.
- Aged for 18 months in the barriques and at least 6 months in the bottle.
- Grapes: 100% Barbera.
|Appellation(s)||DOC Colli Tortonesi|
|Annual Production||25,000 bottles|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Organic, not certified|