Francesco Bellocchio took over vineyard land his grandfather, Fausto Coppi, had owned in the Colli Tortonesi region of Piedmont. Personal drive runs in the family. Grandfather Fausto was one of Italy’s most famous cyclists. Francesco is driven to make the very best wines from local varieties at the winery named after Fausto’s daughter and Francesco’s mother, Marina Coppi.
Grapes / Soils
|Favorita (Vermentino)||Planted 1947, 2003||Marl of Sant’Agata argillous/calcarous||0.8 ha|
This wine is dedicated to the two Marinas in our family: Marina Coppi, Francesco’s mother and the grandmother of Marina Bellocchio, Francesco’s daughter, who was born on the eve of our first grape-harvest.
Area of production: the grapes come from the nearby “Gabetto” vineyard and an old vineyard in the Madonna locality which is in the nearby village of Carezzano.
Harvesting: to increase the sugar and aromatic concentration, harvesting takes place around ten days after the grape has reached its maximum ripeness when the grapes are slightly over-ripe (late-harvesting). The grapes are hand-picked, in crates, during the cooler early morning hours to favor the preservation of the intensity of their aroma.
Vinification tecniques: soft pressing of the whole grapes and the cold straining of the must; alcoholic fermentation takes place slowly at an approximate temperature of 15°C. After the completion of fermentation, the wine is transferred and does not undergo malolactic fermentation.
Refinement: the wine matures for roughly six months on its own sediment in steel refrigerated tanks and acquires bouquet and body thanks to the manual “batonnage” process. Bottled in the month of April, it completes its refinement for a further three months.
- Color: intensely straw-colored.
- Bouquet: fine and intense with great personality having distinct notes of rennet apples, peach and meadow grass.
- Palate: full, round and balanced, smooth and persistent.
- Best served: 12°C.
- Best served with: risottos, fish-based pasta courses, crustaceans, Montebore-stuffed fried anchovies while it is also excellent with hop-shoot omelettes and goat’s cheese.
- Made from Favorita (Vermentino) grapes.
- Fermented in stainless steel tanks.
- Aged in steel refrigerated tanks and the bottle.
- Aged for 6 months in the steel tanks and a further 3 months in the bottle.
- Grapes: uniquely Favorita.
The Favorita grape reveals tangy and spicy freshness with green fruit and honeydew melon, with plenty of citrus and lime. You get that in this Vigne Marina Coppi 2015 Colli Tortonesi Favorita Marine, but an extra year of bottle age has also developed some golden fruit, apricot and poached pear. This wine is somewhere between its zesty side and its creamy side, but it’s more on the zesty side. Favorita is known to withstand some modest bottle age. Only 2,700 bottles were made. 2020 – 2023
|Appellation(s)||DOC Colli Tortonesi|
|Annual Production||2,083 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Organic, not certified|