Francesco Bellocchio took over vineyard land his grandfather, Fausto Coppi, had owned in the Colli Tortonesi region of Piedmont. Personal drive runs in the family. Grandfather Fausto was one of Italy’s most famous cyclists. Francesco is driven to make the very best wines from local varieties at the winery named after Fausto’s daughter and Francesco’s mother, Marina Coppi.
Grapes / Soils
|Favorita (Vermentino)||Planted 1947, 2003||Marl of Sant’Agata argillous/calcareous||0.8 ha|
- Wine is dedicated to the two Marinas in the family: Marina Coppi, mother of Francesco, and her grandaughter (Francesco’s daughter), Marina Bellocchio, who was born on the eve of the first harvest
- Grapes from the Gabetto vineyard and an old vineyard in the Madonna locality, in nearby Carezzano village
- Soils are calcareous and agrillous
- Vines planted: 1947, 2003
- To increase the sugar and aromatic concentration, harvest begins about 10 days after grapes have achieved maximum ripeness and are slightly overripe
- Hand harvested into crates in the cooler, early morning hours to preserve the intense aromas
- Gentle whole cluster pressing
- Must is cold strained; slow fermentation at 15 degrees C
- Wine transferred to stainless steel tanks, no malolactic fermentation
- Aging on lees in tank for 6 months with manual batonnage
- Bottled in April, aged for at least 3 more months before release
100% Favorita (Vermentino); alcohol: 14%; soils: calcareous and agrillous; vineyards vines planted in 1947 and 2003; named for Francesco’s mother and daughter; harvested slightly overripe; whole cluster pressed; no malolactic fermentation; aged in stainless steel tanks on lees for 6 months; aged in bottle at least 3 months before release.
- 100% Favorita (Vermentino) grapes
- Alcohol: 14%
Intensely straw colored. Fine and intense bouquet with great personality, distinct notes of rennet, apples, peach and meadow grass. The palate is full, round and balanced, smooth and persistent.
Serve with risottos, fish-based paste courses, crustaceans, Montebore-stuffed friend anchovies, goat cheese.
The Vigne Marina Coppi 2017 Colli Tortonesi Favorita Marine is a fresh and snappy white wine that drinks easily, thanks to its fresh aromas of citrus, crushed oyster shell and honeydew melon. This is a lean-bodied wine with lots of zesty freshness and a good many citrusy high notes. I’d pair this pretty white with grilled zucchini garnished with mint. Production was down in this vintage, with 1,656 bottles made. 2020 – 2024
|Appellation(s)||DOC Colli Tortonesi|
|Annual Production||2,083 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Organic, not certified|