Francesco Bellocchio took over vineyard land his grandfather, Fausto Coppi, had owned in the Colli Tortonesi region of Piedmont. Personal drive runs in the family. Grandfather Fausto was one of Italy’s most famous cyclists. Francesco is driven to make the very best wines from local varieties at the winery named after Fausto’s daughter and Francesco’s mother, Marina Coppi.
This wine is dedicated to the two Marinas in the family: Marina Coppi, mother of Francesco, and her grandaughter (Francesco’s daughter), Marina Bellocchio, who was born on the eve of the first harvest.
- Grapes from the Gabetto vineyard and an old vineyard in the Madonna locality, in nearby Carezzano village
- Soils: Calcareous and agrillous
- Vines Planted: 1947, 2003
- To increase the sugar and aromatic concentration, harvest begins about 10 days after grapes have achieved maximum ripeness and are slightly overripe
- Hand harvested into crates in the cooler, early morning hours to preserve the intense aromas
- Gentle whole cluster pressing
- Must is cold strained; slow fermentation at 15º C
- Wine moved to stainless steel tanks, no malolactic fermentation
- Aged on lees in tank for 6 months with manual batonnage
- Bottled in April, aged for at least 3 more months before release
An intense straw color in the glass. Rennet apples, peach and meadow grass create a distinct bouquet that shows great personality, fine and intense. The palate is persistent, smooth and balanced.
Best paired with fish-based pastas, crustaceans, risottos, Monteborre-stuffed fried anchovies. Delicious with hop-shoot omelets and goat cheeses.
100% Favorita (Vermentino); alcohol: 13.5%; soils: calcareous and agrillous; vineyards vines planted in 1947, 2003; named for Francesco Bellocchio’s mother and daughter; harvested slightly overripe; whole cluster pressed; no malolactic fermentation; aged in stainless steel tanks on lees for 6 months; aged in bottle at least 3 months before release.
- 100% Favorita (Vermentino)
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- Total Acidity: 5.84 g/l
- Residual Sugar: 2.6 g/l
- Extract: 22
|Appellation(s)||DOC Colli Tortonesi|
|Annual Production||2,083 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Organic, not certified|