Francesco Bellocchio took over vineyard land his grandfather, Fausto Coppi, had owned in the Colli Tortonesi region of Piedmont. Personal drive runs in the family. Grandfather Fausto was one of Italy’s most famous cyclists. Francesco is driven to make the very best wines from local varieties at the winery named after Fausto’s daughter and Francesco’s mother, Marina Coppi.
Grapes from the Gabetto vineyard and an old vineyard in the Madonna locality, in nearby Carezzano village, D.O.C. Colli Tortonesi.
- Planted 1947, 2003
- Soil: Limestone
- To increase the sugar and aromatic concentration, harvest begins about 10 days after grapes have achieved maximum ripeness and are slightly overripe
- Hand harvested into crates in the cooler, early morning hours to preserve the intense aromas
- Gentle whole cluster pressing
- Must is cold strained; slow fermentation for 10 months on lees in stainless steel tanks with manual battonage
- No malolactic fermentation
- Aged 18 months in tank
This wine is dedicated to the two Marinas in the family: Marina Coppi, mother of Francesco, and her grandaughter (Francesco’s daughter), Marina Bellocchio, who was born on the eve of the first harvest. Intensely straw colored. Fiand and intense bouquet with distinct ntoes of rennet apples, peach and meadow grass. The palate is full, round and balanced, with a smooth, persistent finish.
Pair with risottos, delicate starters, fish, crustaceans, stuffed vegetables and fresh cheese.
100% Favorita (Vermentino); alcohol: 13.5%; vineyards vines planted in 1947, 2003 in Colli Tortonesi; limestone soil; named for Francesco Bellocchio’s mother and daughter; harvested slightly overripe; whole cluster pressed; no malolactic fermentation; fermented 10 months, aged in stainless steel tanks on lees 18 months.
- 100% Favorita (Vermentino)
- Alcohol: 13.5%
|Appellation(s)||DOC Colli Tortonesi|
|Annual Production||2,083 9L cases|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Organic, not certified|