Francesco Bellocchio took over vineyard land his grandfather, Fausto Coppi, had owned in the Colli Tortonesi region of Piedmont. Personal drive runs in the family. Grandfather Fausto was one of Italy’s most famous cyclists. Francesco is driven to make the very best wines from local varieties at the winery named after Fausto’s daughter and Francesco’s mother, Marina Coppi.
Grapes / Soils
|90% Barbera, 10% Croatina||Planted 2003||Marl of Sant’Agata argillous/calcareous||1 ha|
- Wine named for the locality of Sant’Andrea, in the village of Castellania
- Altitiude: 400 meters
- Soils: marl of calcareous and agrillous limestone and clay
- Vines planted: 2003
- Hand harvested into 20kg crates
- Destemmed and crushed, fermentation in stainless steel tanks at controlled temperature of 25-27 degrees C, maceration for 10 days
- Malolactic fermentation for minimum 3 months
- Aging: 9 months in tanks, then at least 3 months in bottle before release
Intense and vivacious ruby red color. The bouquet has good intensity, with traces of cherry and wild strawberries. A full, satisfying and fresh palate.
Serve with whte and red meats, elaborate fish dishes, fresh cheese, ideal with agnolotti and raw salame.
90% Barbera, 10% Croatina; alcohol: 13.5%; soils of limestone and clay; vines planted 2003; fermentation and aging in stainless steel for over 9 months; bottle aging for at least 3 months before release.
- 90% Barbera, 10% Croatina grapes
- Alcohol: 13.5%
A pure expression of Barbera, the Vigne Marina Coppi 2018 Colli Cortonesi Barbera Sant’Andrea is a youthful, bright and very compelling expression of the grape. It shows compact lines and good inner tension or focus. You taste the sharpness and the direct nature of the grape with its immediate aromas of blackberry, plum and dried cherry. I love those little earthy details on the close and that satisfying touch of sweet cherry that kicks in at the very end. Some 9,600 bottles were made. 2020 – 2024
|Appellation(s)||DOC Colli Tortonesi|
|Annual Production||25,000 bottles|
|Farming (Sustainable, organic, biodynamic)||Organic, not certified|